Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody have any problems with.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by down4thakrown, Aug 11, 2004.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

im probably not goin to have inner fenders on my k5 and i was wondering if people had any problems with anything like rocks or water getting in to places or messing things up??
    I already know that im goin to silicone the distributor cap and use the stock air filter cover. but is there anything else i should do ??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't know about the inner fenders but be careful siliconing your dist. cap it needs to be vented, or it can cause cross firing.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't know, but I hope not because I am going to remove mine when I change front clips here in the next month or so... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Shouldn't be a problem. Matt (az-k5) runs no inner fenders. I have seen quite a few AZ trucks that run without inner fenders.

If you are running alot of water then you might want to consider something to help keep the flying water from the tires away from the dist & intake.

From what I gather from those axles I bought from you you like to run alot of sand and water. (alot of sand in the front axle tubes and water in the diff)

I wouldn't seal up the dist. It could lead to the missfire problems stated above and it will also cause premature death of the ignition module. I was having a problem with my TPI dist killing a module every 3 weeks. I knocked out my vent screens and I have been running for about 2 months and no more problems. Keeping the heat inside the dist is bad for the modules and probably the coil too.

Harley

5. down4thakrown

thx thats nice to know
    is there another way to seal the dist.could i silicone it and make a vent tube or two, or would this be not enough air
    yea theres been a few river trips on those axles.thats why i let go so cheap

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not sure how to seal them up. Like I said, I opened mine up to get more air in and heat out. I don't do much water though. Only river crossings to get to rockcrawling trails. All slow speed stuff.

I already got rid of the axles. I didn't check out the back but the front had some water. Nothing terrible though. Some slight surface rust on the internals and milk shake gear oil. I got the parts I needed and got rid of them.

Harley

7. down4thakrown

does your any of the guys go through water w/o inner fenders??

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I made a wierd do hicky from a cup..

I large cup/thirst buter similar in size, cut it up and in 1/2 so it shilds the front half and the top, then I just zipties it on, worked real good untill I needed to keep a diff from leaking on the driveway..it worked good for that too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

redneck..but it worked for a long time, I wan to make a nicer on that bolts on from sheet metal one of the these days /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

9. down4thakrown

so you took a bladder buster and slid over the dist.??
    if so good idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. supersize75k5

kind of like a clip on cap, still leaves room for all the wires ect

11. down4thakrown

sweet thx
    i think i have an idea

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My wife's 86 Mustang with the 5.0 had a rubber wrap around the distributor. With the distributor up front they had to do something. I'm sure it'd work just fine on a Chev distributor and look better than a big plastic cup and zip ties...

Rene

13. supersize75k5

hey it ment I got to play in the water that day...worked for me, but yea it looked getto /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif