Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody have any trailer plans

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by bad_bo_ti, Dec 2, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

seeing if anyone has any trailer plans to share with us, i am thinking of maybe making my own trailer. something else that might not hurt is maybe a list of helpful trailer websites for parts and accessories! if you have any plans and would like to share them either post here with a link or send them to me at bad_bo_ti@yahoo.com thanks, chris

2. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

hay if anyone sends you plans can you send them to me K10chvy77@aol.com thanks

Andrew

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Check the link post at the top. There's some good info there.

BIGJ

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have some trailer plans I made but need to update them a little. I originally used angle iron crossmembers and need to change it out to channel iron instead to make things a little stronger. This was a 6 x 10 utility trailer though, not a car hauler.

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea that is what i am looking for more of a car hauler, i would like to build a regular bumper(hitch) pull trailer first maybe to handle like 10,000 lbs or a little less. i am sure i can make my own drawing though for this but my main concern is what type (c-channel box) metal and thickness to use, i plan on it being a tandom axle with both axles having breaks not sure if i want a deck over or a low boy type. thanks again for all the help

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

C channel or I beams will be the cheapest way to get the strength you need. Square and rectangular tubing will be 3-6X the cost. For 10,000# Cap trailer 8-10" channel should be good with 2 main frame rails. 3-4" channel crossmembers with 2" decking to top it off.

You could borrow this flatbed plan I made and modify it to make a trailer:
    Flatbed Plans

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

what about weight though, will the i-beam or c-channle trailer weigh more than a box tube? i guess i should add that i will be pulling this witha 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy untill i get something else. thanks chris

8. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Try this: Trailer Plans

I've not ordered anything from this place - just been browsing. Their plan for Model 1218 looks appealing.

Ronnie