Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have MArker Lights Installed on their Roofs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, Mar 13, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

You know, the tear-drop shaped amber lights...been wondering what they would look like on a K5. Watched that movie "Swimfan" tonight, and dude had them on his Bronco - thought they looked pretty good. Anybody here got them on their rig?

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

My dads 79 has the origional ones on it. They add a touch of toughness to it. Its a 5 bolt 3/4--I guess that means a 1/2 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif rated to carry a camper? Not sure, but the lights do look nice at night.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, the tear-drop shaped amber lights...been wondering what they would look like on a K5. Watched that movie "Swimfan" tonight, and dude had them on his Bronco - thought they looked pretty good. Anybody here got them on their rig?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

4. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Those do look good man! I think I'm going to have to add some. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It may be just the picture, but those look like the factory lights.
    The Teardrops (aftermarket) look different. I don't think they look as good as factory one, but that is just my personal opinion.

6. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

A while ago I put these lights on my dad's 94 Silverado. Its really easy and it made the truck look really cool at night.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It may be just the picture, but those look like the factory lights.
    The Teardrops (aftermarket) look different. I don't think they look as good as factory one, but that is just my personal opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the factory lights--except they didn't come on it. I put them on myself. Some guy from the internet sent them to me for free.

Probably my favorite mod...although nerve wrecking to drill holes in my roof.

8. Leadfoot

Looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If I were to go with cab lights (unfortunately neither of mine came with them), I would go factory style. They are the best looking/styled IMO.

9. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah! Those do look good man! I think I'm going to have to add some.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">I don't know I have them on my '90 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and think they look stupid during the day but light up pretty cool at nite...but hey that's me...

T </font>

10. BrianDamage

Are the factory lights like the Chevy style lights JC whitney sells? More squared off than teardrop shaped?

11. badgravity

badgravity Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ...nerve wrecking to drill holes in my roof.

[/ QUOTE ]
    From where to get the measurments
    mayebe some K30 guy can throw somekind of drawing ?

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    From where to get the measurments
    mayebe some K30 guy can throw somekind of drawing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a ruler, found the center, decided on a distance back from the windshield on mine. I drew that location on my roof with a pencil, then placed the others the same distance back away from the windshield and did all the measuring from the center. It's hard to explain, but it worked out great for me. Just make all the measurements relative to the other lights so it looks uniform and they'll turn out alright.

13. Leadfoot

I haven't seen the one's JC Whitney sells, but yes the factory ones are more "squared off" than the usual aftermarket "teardrop" design.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My dads 79 has the origional ones on it. They add a touch of toughness to it. Its a 5 bolt 3/4--I guess that means a 1/2 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif rated to carry a camper? Not sure, but the lights do look nice at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

its 1/2 ton, could be a Big 10 which is HD 1/2 ton with larger brakes and bigger springs if its got the commonly seen silver Big 10 decals on the bedsides

i can get you measurements off a '78 thats got factory cab lights, its a 1 ton unmodified, lemme know

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I took a closeup pic of mine but the files wouldn't upload and I left all that stuff at my mom's house. I'll have to post them the next time I go over there.

16. badgravity

badgravity Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    can get you measurements off a '78 thats got factory cab lights, its a 1 ton unmodified, lemme know

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would appreciate it
    I'm going to install them on my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif but the cab is all the same so the measurments will fit /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I've seen a few around that had the Ventshade (I think, maybe Lund) visor added on the front that had the lights installed on them from the factory. They looked pretty damn sharp, and the lights are tucked away into the visor for more of a sleek appearance compared to the teardrop lights. But that's just me.....

18. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I have to ask this dumb question, but what was the original purpose of having the lights anyways? Better visability?

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

technically they are clearance lights, same purpose as them being on big trucks

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how hard is it to wire them though? i have been waiting to put some on mine as well..