Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have PW???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bill4rest, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Just wondering cuz, if I put a cage in my truck I don't want to mess with the window cranks(I have an AC Blazer)

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I remember an article in one of the mags......they showed a 1st Gen with a FULL custom cage, and the way they solved the window crank thing was by using a different model of crank.

It was just a little shorter overall and allowed them to still roll the windows up and down, while getting the "down" tubes where they wanted and also preserving the A/C outlets.

It would certainly be an easier (and more authentic looking) solution than trying to convert to electric windows. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

Could always buy one of the power window kits in the resto mags.... Or kick the footer around the crank handle a little...

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I saw a cage one time on a first gen that they welded round tube in line with the a/c vents front to rear and atached the balls to the tube.

5. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

Thanks to everyone, I'm hip to the idea of keeping it authentic looking. But I just figured it would be an easy way around the crank and still have the AC ports.
    I am not too hip with the round tube in the ports, seems it would compromise the strength of the front hoop.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well I was into this gen truck way back in high school, and there are several answers to the PW situation, Summit I believe sells a kit that just puts a deal on the crank stub and turns the shaft that way, or you can do the whole kit that has the lifts and all. As far as keeping it retro style, the trickest thing I've seen so far, was to reuse the factory handle as a switch for the windows, it didn't spin only moved a little but up was up and down was down, pretty sweet.

7. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh I like that idea!

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

You might check the board over on 67-72chevytrucks.com. There are several guys over there with P/W setups in their pickups.