Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have some cheese for my whine, or removing leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Let the sniveling begin. Ok, there's a break in the downpour so I head out to the project to wrench for a bit. I have the entire frame off and almost completely devoid of anything except the rear leaf springs. Rear upper bolts, piece of cake. A little PB and a few whacks and off they come. Right side bottom bolt is a bit stubborn but succumbs eventually. Left side, uh oh, have to wait until later.

Front bolts? I made up new swear words. Then, I got out the torch. After explaining the smoke to the Fire Dept., promising to vote for their chili next festival, and apologizing, they are on their way and the urethane bushings are now a melted pile in a pie pan. I'm sure the Earth First people would be crapping egg rolls at the toxic fumes but I'm hidden in the back yard. If they only knew what kind of fluids have made their way to the bay they'd send Al Gore (internet inventor) to my home to verbally abuse me and threaten to leave his book on my coffee table.

Then after some more PB and many whacks with the hammer, I can just get both front bolts to turn. Problem is, the inner sleeve that was on the bushings is basically welded to the bolt. Now it's up to my closet where I stare at the Sawzall that is on the floor waiting to be wrapped for Christmas. I know I shouldn't tick off Santa, but hey! it's an emergency right? Box says it has a bi-metal blade. How many could I need? Ok, Santa is at the mall spending money that we don't have so here we go. Open the box and the blade is for wood. Figures. Off to OSH for blades. I get a 5 pack of bi-metal blades. Then, just because I am a man, I buy a pack of Binford tungsten carbide blades. Good thing.

Back to the rig and I fire up the Sawzall. What was I thinking going all these years without one? 2 blades later I have the driver side in 2 pieces and off. Passenger side is next. Ok, I burned 2 blades so if I burn 2 more, I just have one left. I break out the tungsten carbide blades and it only takes one blade to finish it off. I'm happier than a clam. I've rescinded every curse uttered at Chevy and apologized to the deity of my choice. Hey, I have the blade on, let's take a stab at the rivets for the rear perches. After all, I have to take them off for the ORD reverse shackle project anyway. Well, 2 rivets into the project the rain starts in a big way. But, I can head into the house with grease on my hands, smelling of sweat, and tell the kids what a stud their Dad is. Life is good. Now, someone tell me there was an easier way although I hope I never do that again.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I dont even bother with PB, torches or air guns anymore, i just sawzall everything that doesnt come out with a ratchet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I personally like the blue wrench!

Mike

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

A grinder works better then a sawzall!!!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't even bother looking for the wrenches...grinder with a 1/8" zip cut disc and the springs are out in a few minutes. New bolts are much less aggravation...

Rene

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

u guys r doin it all wrong. this is when the plasma cutter becomes your best friend. and if all else fails then use the torch or sawzall

NITRO

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, a 4" grinder is also in a box waiting for wrapping. Guess I need to get some accessories for it and save the Sawzall blades. I used my air cutoff tool to hack a good chuck of the rivets off but I figure the grinder will take the rest off later.