Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have their computer hooked up to a TV ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I want this one.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

my dual monitor card has a plus that goes to composit video, I use to play SOF on my 32" tv. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

If I buy an S video cable for my laptop.. I supposedly can hook it up to the tv. But then what would be the point of having a portable computer? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

One of my Mac's is set up to run video on my 36" tv too.
    The kids get a kick out of playing their games on the tv, I wouldn't buy a card to do it myself, it just came with one of my computers so I said what the heck.

Most TV's don't have a high enough resolution to show the desktop clearly anyway, at least that's what I was told.
    Nifty little feature if it doesn't cost much or is free.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    One of my Mac's is set up to run video on my 36" tv too.
    The kids get a kick out of playing their games on the tv, I wouldn't buy a card to do it myself, it just came with one of my computers so I said what the heck.

Most TV's don't have a high enough resolution to show the desktop clearly anyway, at least that's what I was told.
    Nifty little feature if it doesn't cost much or is free.

[/ QUOTE ] Try this TV. It's made to hook up to a computer. Chech out the back panel [​IMG]

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my GeForce 4200Ti does that, and I do indeed have my TV plugged into it... it makes watching movies a little bit easier. desktop looks like crap, and words are blurry, but for movies, it works good. games generaly also look pretty good too, which is pretty cool.

if you want a TV that can do computer stuff, why not skip the CRT tube TV that costs an arm, a leg, and your left nut, and go directly to a projector? for about 400 bucks, you can get a computer projector that'll do native 1024x768 resolution, and some that'll go higher ( more money) additionaly, they have ports for SVGA in, S-Video in, composite in, and component in. to top it off, your screen is as big as you want it. the only drawback to this, is the lack of ability to watch TV with the window shades up. ( not a huge problem for me, as I'm either always at work when the sun is up, or in the dark on the weekends)

-Rich

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    my GeForce 4200Ti does that, and I do indeed have my TV plugged into it... it makes watching movies a little bit easier. desktop looks like crap, and words are blurry, but for movies, it works good. games generaly also look pretty good too, which is pretty cool.

if you want a TV that can do computer stuff, why not skip the CRT tube TV that costs an arm, a leg, and your left nut, and go directly to a projector? for about 400 bucks, you can get a computer projector that'll do native 1024x768 resolution, and some that'll go higher ( more money) additionaly, they have ports for SVGA in, S-Video in, composite in, and component in. to top it off, your screen is as big as you want it. the only drawback to this, is the lack of ability to watch TV with the window shades up. ( not a huge problem for me, as I'm either always at work when the sun is up, or in the dark on the weekends)

-Rich

[/ QUOTE ] Thats a good idea, but (Isn't there always a but ??) I live in a trailer house and don't have the room for a projector, plus what would I do durring the day as far as TV go's ???

8. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

get a video card with tv out via s video
    and hook it up that way,
    way better quality

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was thinking of getting the computer ready TV with the "Computer in" hook up on the back. [​IMG]

10. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

once again get a new video card for the pc
    with an s video out
    and connect it to the tv using s video in
    it will be way better than using and old parallel cable connection wich the tv you show as wanting has,
    i would recomend a nvidia product for the video card
    if you need help with it
    let me know,
    also ask your local pc shop about what im telling you
    and if they know of a better way to make it happen
    good luck with it
    or ask me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/pal=ratah%40cinci.rr.com

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay. so I wouldn't need a TV with the parallel cable connection. Just a TV with s video in and out. I might get a 36" HDTV then.