Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have this problem with a 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Nov 19, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When I put it in park it rolls some times, a few days ago I had to jump in and hit the brakes because it was rolling about 5 feet backwards before I stopped it. Just wondering how long I have before the 400 goes in.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the park paw in the tranny is wore out. You will know when it goes out when you dont have reverse anymore.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. CK5

Is reverse important? [​IMG] I hope it lasts a little while longer while I get all my parts together.

Steve

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It could something as simple as a mis-adjusted linkage. [​IMG] Set the parking brake and loosen the bolt that holds the shift rod to the shift mechanism on the side of the trans. Rotate the shift mechanism to make sure that the tranny is in park. Make sure the shifter inside the truck is in the "park" position, then tighten the bolt down at the shift mechanism. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. CK5

"Set the parking brake" never did get that hooked up. The shift mech is the first thing I thought of but when it rolls back it makes a nasty clicking noise, I have checked the meck line before but I will check again just to make sure.

Steve

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I had the same problem on a th350 and adjusted the rod and it was fine. With how much your t case is dropped it might be binding and not going into park all the way.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem after I put my body lift in. We didn't have the linkage adjusted quite right after welding in the extension and I didn't have park at all. Adjusted it real quick and it's better than it was before.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a worn out park pawl. It won't affect the tranny during running conditions (i.e. reverse through low 1), so it won't hurt the tranny, but it could hurt the vehicle if you don't get a parking brake set-up for it and try to park on an incline [​IMG].

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have another 700r4 i could sell ya [​IMG] i just pulled mine and replaced it with a SM465/205 combo...it still has 30,000 left on the GM warranty...altho i dont know if it is transferable

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Look in the Blazers for sale page!! my 72 needs to go!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

10. CK5

I will recheck the linkage to make sure that it is or isn't the problem, thanks, but no thanks on the 700, I am going to swap in a 400 with a doubler set up.

Steve

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I agree with the linkage bind. That happened to me once. Adjusted the linkage and it cleared right up. The clicking noise could be the paw half engaged and half not maybe???
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

They guy who did a tranny rebuild for me a while back (did a good job and was a good guy) said when you park, before you put it into park, but the emergancy brake on, then put it in park especially when on a hill. He said that way you won't wear that paw out and also, if something should happen to the tranny, you have the brake to catch it. You've seen those people driving those huge SUV's and they throw it in park (some before it's even stopped) and it bounces on the tranny a few times? *cringe*

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Steve, check the bushings on your shifter linkage. I had the same prob. a couple years ago. Fortunatly the Heep it rolled back into didn't sustain any damage. Sure scared the hell out of some lady at Dominos, though. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Interesting tidbit that just popped into my mind:
    While I would love to have a doubler set-up, you really don't gain that much low range when using a th400 versus the 700r4/241 or 700r4/doubler combo......though the extra strength is definitely there.

stock
    700r4 x 241 ratio: 3.06 x 2.72 = 8.32:1

th400 w/ doubler
    th400 x 203 x 205 ratio: 2.48 x 2.0 x 1.96 = 9.72:1

700r4 w/ doubler
    700r4 x 203 x 205 ratio: 3.06 x 2.0 x 1.96 = 12.00:1

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

NV4500 with a doubler...

5.61x2.01x1.96= 22.1 to 1

SM 465 and 205

6.54x1.96= 12.81

SM 465 and 208

6.54x2.61= 17.07

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

16. CK5

You forgot to compare the 400 without the doubler to a 400 with a doubler, I also plan to get the low gearset for the 400 although it's not really that low. I'm really looking for strength although a doubler is a must with the higher gear s of the 400, plus with the doubler I can have front only or rear only.

Steve

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

"plus with the doubler I can have front only or rear only."

You doing the "twin stick" 205?? if so, how do you plan on adding the 3rd shifter in there, and which shifter are you using? This is actually in my plans, but the Dub with the R4 instead (go ahead and bash the R4 if yall like [​IMG].
    I'm trying to make the ORD shifters work and I have an extra 205 (and 203) shifter and trying to figure out how I can make that work, but am kinda stuck on the idea, on how and where to attach the 3rd shifter. Anyhow, if you aint planning do that, then ignore this rambling post from me [​IMG]
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Didn't really forget....besides, an 400/205 combo has a pretty pitiful low range.

I think the low gear sets for the 400 make 1st about 2.75:1.

19. CK5

I don't have a problem with the 700, worked great for my daily but I am turning it into a toy and want the ultimate strength over anything even lower gears.
    With a low gear set 400
    2.75x2.0x1.96=10.78

Steve

20. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

a few days ago I had to jump in and hit the brakes because it was rolling about 5 feet backwards before I stopped it.

<hr></blockquote>
    Man....I just came online to make a post regarding the same thing. You sound like me when I jumped into mine to stop it from rolling. Mine does the clicking noise too. I guess I'll go check the linkage now.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>