Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody here a fiberglass guru?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by shane74, May 22, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I need to fix my top. It came apart in the back on both sides. The rivets pulled through and now the top separates at the top seam. You can't tell until you go to take the top off, but it drives me nuts. I have new side windows and seals for it, but I don't want to install them until the top is fixed.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

polyester is by far the cheapest repair method, tho about only 2/3's the strength of epoxy.. make sure you get any cloth in the appropriate rating, for poly or epoxy...

for fairing there are tons of filler methods including Dynaglass car filler (glass reinforced bondo). we make our own fairing compounds out of liqiud epoxy and appropriate fillers...

anything you need as far as tech advive let me know. grinding techniques. different layup and glass stuff...

i do structural glasswork on big boats daily, gel, etc... multiple vettes, Mack truck noses.. never did a Blazer top tho /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

take a pic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I'll e-mail some pics to you. I have this wacky idea of smoothing the top while I'm at it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not sure how it would look though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'll be going with the smooth cap on my DD. just rip the pebblegrain out with a DA and some 80 grit.. good heavy coat of epoxy primer, paint....