Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody here have D44/10b *high steer* as well as crossover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I see some of the places that sell crossover stuff for the D44/10b fronts also sell high-steer stuff.

I'm gonna do 52" (stock height rears) in front, which I have gathered means I gotta do crossover. Which is fine, as I've already had the fun of turning the steering wheel while 'crossed up and NOT turning the wheels :(

However, if I'm gonna be replacing stuff, I could be tempted into lifting the tierod out of harm's way fairly easy.

So, do any of y'all have such a set up, like it, don't like it, won't work with 52"s, or other?

-- A

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the big problem wit high steer and a 10 bolt is the stress it put on the knuckles. its alot to ask the steering arms to do that much with such a short leverage point. not saying it cant be done but its not something id do, especially on a fullsize

3. dremu

Yeah, the arms are a bit shorter in length than the cast ones, aren't they? Hmm :thinking: That's also a lot of stress on the studs.

-- A

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

pretty much those are your problems. id just run a heavy duty tie rod and carry the stocker as a spare

5. dremu

So what's the difference with the D60's -- are their high steer arms that much longer, or do those arms attach differently to the knuckles, or ... ?

EDIT: Oh, I looked at ORD's page. Gnarly big studs and four instead of three. They don't look any longer though.

-- A

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the studs and the knuckles themselves are stronger. read the review thats on this site, they talk about how it will wear out tre's and put more stress on the knuckles