Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody hunt predators?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by longbedder, Oct 3, 2006.

1. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got this one last Saturday...

IMG_1124.jpg

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You weren't kidding about those, were you. Nice. The scenery is great too.

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

awesome. how far was the shot? around here theres not much open land like that. the last one I took was about 20 yards from me before I even saw him. he never knew I was there.

4. longbedder

That particular one was about 80 paces. He stopped there, and his ears started to lay back like he figured out there was something wrong...turns out there was :D

There's a TON of BLM (public) land out here.
    No closed season, no limit, and you can spotlight 'em (not statewide, however). Can't shoot lions, but you can take 5 bobcats per year.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Back "in the day" when I was younger and living with my folks, we used to shoot at coyotes and foxes all the time as dad was raising chickens for the eggs.
    Their home resides approximately 200 yards from the Smoky Hill River and they are about 3.5 miles out of town. Chickens were the norm for us back then as we always had plenty of eggs, both to eat and sell.
    Finally after too many visits from coyotes (mainly), they decided to do away from chicken raising as the last incident involved one of the family dogs.
    I remember very well how the coyotes would just happen into the backyard by the chicken coup in broad daylight. Even at dinner or supper once, I just happened to look outside the window and saw one of those varmints walk between the evergreens right by the coup. Told dad and he ran out to the garage and got his rifle. Shot that SOB to Kingdom come.
    Even during the school days, after mom and dad had left for work, I remember hearing the dogs barking and looking out the window to see a coyote trotting across the field about 100 yards out. I went out the garage and got dads rifle and took aim at it and dropped it dead in its tracks.
    Lots of other times saw 12 gauge shotgun blasts just to spook them and get them out of our range. They were too far but the BOOM was enough to get them hauling ass.
    I don't even know the total count of the animals we've shot around here. I do know they still come around just to eat the dogs food now and then. Always fun to listen to mom and dad still tell their stories about the wild animals that keep them and their dogs company at night.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

So what is you varmint rifle?
    I use a Rem 700 BDL chambered in .222 Rem Mag (scored it for a measley $200, guy that bought it didnt know you couldnt buy amm for it). I load a 50gr V-max with BLC2, makes for a puddle of matter :haha: . I havent bagged any yotes but I have exploded many squirrels.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hunt? we call it spotlighting here... jackrabbit, fox and 'yotes are fair game.

8. big dan

you can spot light them here too. I use a single shot .223. I saved change for 2 years and bought it new for $200. So far it has killed 3 deer, all of them at 100yds or more. I use it for anything from squirrels to deer. and most people give me sh*t for buying as single shot but it was super cheap, it is the most accurate gun Ive ever shot, and I killed 3 squirrels out of the same tree with it.

9. big dan

oh, and it costs $7 for a box of 40 of the good shells for it. cheap just the way I like it.

10. longbedder

The rifle in the pic is a Ruger M77 Mk II in .223 with a Burris FFII scope. Sweet little lightweight combo for yotes. I push a 50 grain Nosler BTip at about 3100fps - does just fine out to about 300 yards.

I just got a Savage 24F combo gun in 12ga/.223 I'm really looking forward to using it once I get it scoped.