Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody in a Fraternity?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Jan 28, 2007.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of joining a fraternity. I am currently going through Rush now.

Anybody done it? Thoughts?

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Oh no.

You're one of THEM.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yes. Joined one my sophmore year in college, stayed in for a semester. Seemed like utter bull sh*t. Not my thing. Parties were good and got some extra credit ass but still not worth the fakeness.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Paying to have friends, uhhh not my thing. Plus all those fags pop their collars, and most of em are bi.. Uh but if you want to do it thats cool

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thats probably the response your going to get from most on this site.

And for the record......I couldnt have said it better myself.:wink1:
    -Harrison

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Please don't take my words the wrong way. It might fit your situation, everyone is different. Thats just my personal oppinion.

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I haven't met a frat guy that I've respected yet... :rolleyes:

In fact the only one I got to know well enough to fairly judge (and only because he was a coworker) was just a smug womanizer who thought he was the greatest and most intelligent being on Earth... Oh yeah, he also worked for the Kerry campaign in Tennessee...

I could go on, but just know that I didn't respect or trust that guy, I haven't respected or trusted any others I've met, and I have a hard time believing that there are any respectable trustworthy ones out there... If they are, they're probably like gjk5 and get out once they realize what the other guys are like...

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Classic! :haha: :haha: :haha:

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was agreeing with you.

Theres no way in hell that I would even consider joining a frat. I dont need to pay to have friends...and 98% of the frat guys I know are stuck up arrogant assholes. No thanks.....thats not me.
    -Harrison

10. hunterguy86

I felt the same as yall about fraternities until I met some of the guys in the classes in my major (Construction tech). These guys are like me. I am not man-whore, sleep with everything with boobs type of guy. These guys are known on campus as gentlemen and respectful to everyone. Most of these guys are from outdoors/country background, like me. From what I have seen so far they are not the typical "frat boy" that we all know. I am not positive that this is for me. I am rushing to see what they are like to see if the reputation is true and if this is fits my personality.

Also, for the record I am not gay/bi and I dont view this as paying for friends. I'm not sold on the whole frat thing yet. I'm just doing it to see what its about and do make an informed judgement of fraternities in general. I dont want to judge a group of people without getting to know them

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I was in a fraternity at college. Mine had about 20-28 brothers total, depending on the FNG class size. Good group of guys, and I still talk with a lot of them.

Just make sure you join a fraternity, not a frat.

"You don't call your country a **** do ya?!"

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

As a contrary opinion.. much success in life depends on who you know, and joining a frat is a good way to have a network of contacts for future jobs n' stuff..

my oldest brother joined a fraternity in college, and he also joined the masons...he's an accountant , and he's never had to work very hard at finding a job when he's wanted to.

of course, the shallowness of the other people in these groups isn't a problem for him because he was just out to use his memebership for his own gain anyway..

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes that is one very important point, networking is everything

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Very good point.

15. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm in a fraternity and its one of the best decisions I have made.

Its all about the guys in the house, each one is different. There are plenty of bad ones but there are good ones too.

And for the record on the paying for friends thing, it was cheaper for me to live in the Beta house than it was to live in the dorms :D

16. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been out of school for almost 10 years, and still talk to a few of my fraternity brothers on a weekly basis, go to alumni meetings every once in a while, and get together around homecoming. I also do business with a few of them. We only had about 30 actives while I was in school, and the ones I did most of my hanging out with I'm still pretty close to. But, I'll be honest, a bunch of them I couldn't care less about.

On the money side, it was a lot cheaper for me to live in the House than an apartment. Also, if you get involved in the leadership, you see where the money goes. Insurance, mortgage, house upkeep, parties, etc. I never felt like I was "paying" for friends.

Overall, it was definetely worth the time and money.

17. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm living in the fraternity house right now... and like always people are quick to stereotype around here. As said above it just depends on the people who are in it. Most people see guys in fraternities as rich, womanizing, preppy asshats who think they're God's gift to the world, which can be the case most of the time but it isn't always true. I joined the fraternity I'm in because I already knew most of the guys who were already in it, some I grew up with. Ok to my point.

- Fraternities aren't for everyone
    - Saying you're paying for friends is ridiculous, you aren't just blindly handing money over, I can tell you where every cent has gone.
    - Rush is pretty much BS... It'd be better if you actually knew some guys personally so you really know what they're all about.
    - Every Fraternity is different.
    - I only know of one guy in my fraternity who pops his collar on a regular basis and he definately gets ragged for it.
    - Try to stay away from the generic fraternities where everyone is wearing the same damn thing... those are the asshats that give us bad names. Looks like a freaking country club around some of these houses... it's 30* take off the flip flops and put some shoes on!
    - As mentioned networking is very important, I meet new people all the time just because of the shirts I wear some times.
    - And if you pledge one, if anything ever feels homo ghey, just run... The only time another dude has ever paddled me was in grade school and he was the principal...

Sorry it was long and probably didn't help but if you guys actually have a question feel free to ask... otherwise I guess flame away :D

18. hunterguy86

Can I ask which ones yall are apart of?

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well said. Most people that hate fraternities were either never in one and know very little about the individual houses at your campus, or had a bad expedience at one house and equate them all to that.

Most of my close friends were fraternity brothers of mine in college. And to answer your last question - KA.

20. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Phi Kappa Sigma.