Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody installed a Speedo Cable? 74K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FreedomIsntFree, Sep 18, 2005.

1. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

So my speedo doesn't work and when I bought the truck there was a new cable sitting on the passanger seat. Being the proactive young man I am I put 2 and 2 together gathered I needed to swap it out.

The Haynes manual I have gives no pictures and just says, "Take off old cable, put new one on."

Do I have to take the dash apart and pull the speedo gauge? What about how it is looped through the frame? Any help, tips and/or tricks would be appreciated.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You do not have to pull the gauge. If you have very nimble fingers, you can un-snap the cable from the back of the cluster by reaching up behind the dash. You may find that you need to remove the center access panel under the steering column.

You will find that the heating duct is now on the floor. I have removed mine from my trail rig as I spend more time behind the cluster than needing heat. :haha:

I don't know where the cable goes past that, as I've not had to remove mine -- it just barely fit when I did the Doubler.

You may find that the cable is just loose on one or both ends; grease it with, say, moly grease, or maybe that spray silicone lube stuff, and tighten the end on the t-case and make sure the one on the cluster is snapped in.

-- A

3. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

Great...many thanks :bow: