Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody know about networking computers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Feb 13, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

just moved to a new office location and now none of my printers work. already checked ip addresses and they mathc but that's about the end of my knowledge. standard peer to peer network with shared broadband and printers.

can anyone help?

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Shared printers, or jetdirect boxes. Jet direct shouldn't be too hard to fix if all your Ip's are the same. I would delete your shares then try again.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Don't know about jetdirect. I checked the IP's and they match on the printer properties in my control panel and on the printer itself, when I tried to go to commandprompt and "ping" the IP, it came back as a different IP that was pinged.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey, did you get my email?

What's the reply that came back? Was it from x.x.x.1, saying "Destination host unreachable" or anything like that?

5. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Can you ping the printers?

When you moved office, did you change networking equipment? If so, make sure your subnet masks match.

Also, try changing the IP addresses on the printers and change the workstations to point to that new ip address.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I tried the Ping, it came back as "reply from 65.39.96.22 (which is not the printer's IP) TTL expired in transit"

And Ratch, I sent you that e-mail back with a cut and paste from the command prompt page, did you not get it? I got no response back.

No change to networking equip. other than the router's ports are probably swithced around but that shouldn't do anything. The only other change was to go with broadband modem rather than DSL.

I'm not really sure how to redirect those IP addresses on the PC's, I know how to do it on the printer though.

7. dogdaysunrise

Are your printers in the new office? or are you sending prints over the net?

If they are over the net, then it would have changed when you changed ISPs.

As for setting up the printers ip addresses, go on the workstation, open up the printers folder, then right click the printer. You should be able to change the ip address of that printer in there.

***EDIT***

It should be in the ports section of the printer properties. Make sure that your printers have the same sequence of numbers as your workstations

EG.

If you have a printer with an ip address of 10.31.15.100 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then your workstations would need an ip address in the range of 10.31.15.1 to 10.31.15.254

Just for trouble shooting sake, what are the ip addresses? You can PM them to me if you would like so they are made public here. Shouldnt be a huge deal if they are private internal addresses, but better safe then sorry.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

He emailed me, they are public, not in the private ranges. The printer is still in a private range, though (192.168).

David, send them over PM or email, don't post the IP's on the board here.

9. dogdaysunrise

sorry yea, it was supposed to read so they arent made public. I kinda goofed in the typing.

If the printer is still private and the workstations are public addresses then there is a routing issue somewhere.

Do you know if there is a print server that you access through a domain name? Like is it random to which printer the documents come up on?

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Here was my email reply to him (posting so anyone with better advice or corrections to mine can give it):
    His machine is running a public IP address (with 255.255.224), which I can hit from here (NY), and it's assigned by a private DHCP server from a different network. Kind of a bizarre setup for an office lan imo, but different ISP's do different wierd stuff that still works...
    The printer is still on the old internal lan network of 192.168.0.x. He's got PLENTY of ip's he can assign, he just has to make sure he doesn't assign one that's already taken.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:thumb: I gotcha.

12. dogdaysunrise

i agree with ratch. Get a firewall set up asap. If the isp is assigning you random address through DHCP then it sounds like you dont need a system directly connected to the net, otherwise you would have a staticly set address (one given to you from the ISP to program into the system). Like Ratch suggested definitly get a cheapo router (atleast) and get those systems protected. If Ratch is able to do a port scan on it, then there is a good chance someone else will also, once an open port is discovered its like an open door.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just sent you back another e-mail. DCHP server does not have static IP's, just dynamic. As far as the set-up, I had the knucklehead copier guy who did it on the side run the wiring and set up the network at the old office so:dunno: . Also this is my first experience with Bresnan so we'll see about that too.

What's wrong about the setup, if it's squirrely I would like to have someone come in and do it right. I do have two routers that this is all running through, so I'm not sure why they are not working as they are supposed to.

14. dogdaysunrise

if your systems are getting public ip addresses

just a fyi. a private ip addresses are:
    10.x.x.x
    172.16.x.x
    192.168.x.x

It is possible that your routers were set up to give out addresses that look public, but it is unlikely because Ratch is able to scan it. Are you sure the guy that set the network up didnt just put switches in place? If so your ISP would assign public addresses to each system plugged into that switch.
    A router would have a WAN port, which is sperate from all the LAN ports. A switch would just have numbered ports. EG. ports 1 through 8.

15. dogdaysunrise

are you running a website or anything that has to connect to a corporate network? Or is this just your own buisness, and you dont connect to any other offices?

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It sounds like you're saying the Netgear is plugged into the Dayna router, but nothing else?
    You should have your stuff run from your hub or switch, into the Netgear router, then from the netgear to the dayna router. I don't actually know what the dayna is, an actual routing device or a modem.

I've never heard of a modem assigning addresses, but being assigned. If the Dayna is a device provided by the isp, and it's the DHCP server also, they probably disabled the DHCP server on your netgear router. What's kinda wierd is that I can reach your machine, that makes it seem like the netgear isn't doing anything and all inbound and outbound traffic is just flowing through it. Ideally, you'd want it to drop unsolicited inbound traffic and pass all outbound traffic. You'd probably be better off if you could have it be your dhcp server also.

So what I'd ask their tech support is:

Where do the computers on my network get their IP addresses? From the Dayna router acting as a dhcp server?
    Is the DHCP server assigning addresses to my network only (so if you pick an arbitrary high numbered address, you can be sure it won't conflict with another machine)?
    Is it possible to go back to having the computers on my network get the same addresses they used to; 192.168.0.x? This would allow you to run Network Address Translation (NAT) and provide a better layer of protection than being exposed to the internet.
    If that's NOT possible, what static addresses can I use for my printers (IE what is the DHCP server NOT handing out)?
    Can the ISP equipment be configured to drop unsolicited inbound packets?

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's certainly a possibility, the scan was only able to tell something lived there, not what, and couldn't find any of the most common ports open. So he may not be in bad shape in that regard, sorry I forgot to update that... I'm going to run another scan from a terminal server at my house in a few minutes if people would just stop giving me work here at the office... :rotfl:

18. dogdaysunrise

Is the ISP specific to businesses or is it just the local cable company broadband?

The cable company I work for will assign as many IP addresses as you request. They will all be assigned VIA DHCP and distrbuted via the modem. Then you can plug the modem into a switch with all the workstations and they will all recieve public addresses. The problem with this is, as Ratch said all inbound and outbound traffic will hit all machines.

If you have any payroll or employee information unproteced on the cloud (the internet) then it could be jepordized.

Why did you change ISPs? was it because the old location just wasent broadband ready and you only had DSL availible? or was it because you are upgrading?

19. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Not currently running a website, we are an independent business, no other offices.

20. dogdaysunrise

Then I see no reason for the systems to be on the public network. I would say reconfigure the network.

How many workstations are there?

The simplest way to reconfigure it would be to have the broadband modem (provided by the ISP) plug into the WAN port on your netgear router, then have as many workstations plug into the open ports on the router and plug your hub to the last remaining port. Plug that last cable to the uplink port on the hub (if it is a switch there will be not uplink) and plug the remainder of the workstations and the printers into the switch. Observe what addresses the workstations recieve. IF they are recieving 192.168.x.2 to say 192.168.x.16 then the router is giving out low number ip addresses. It would be safe to set your printers up with an address of 192.168.x.110 and so forth. If it is the opposite, that all the workstations are recieving higher numbers like x.100 or x.110 then set the printers to lower numbers like x.10 or x.11

sorry if I lost ya