Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody know Pontiacs???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Its a 95 Grand prix and lately there has been like a whirring noise coming I think from the left side.:confused: The noise comes and goes though so I am having a hard time pinpointing it:doah:

It only comes while driving though and seems to go with the speed the car is moving and seems to get quiter when I hit the brakes.:rolleyes:

I can't figure this out, the noise is sometimes there and then it will just stop:mad:

Any help would be appreciated:bow:

Thanks

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Same noise while I was wrking on a Grand Prix in Illinios. Turned out to be a wheel bearing on the drivers side front.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

cv joints and wheel bearings can both make a whirring sound when in motion, and braked can and do affect the frequency and volume of the sound.

if it didn't vary with braking, i'd say power steering pump. people drive around with those worn out all the time and it's really annoying.

my friend's grand prix was making a funky sound, so we pulled the wheel and found SHATTERED bearings. that was odd.

4. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

actually, mine makes a lot of noises. one i think is the motor mount? its a grrrrrrrrrrr...rrrrrrrrrrr when accelerating. but steady speed it quits. ps pump leaks when ever it feels like it. under the floor i can hear what sounds like a plastic bag or an object hitting the cab floor. theres nothing under there... cars a POS. sell it

5. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I'd bet wheel bearing since it stops when you hit the brakes. Check around center of your wheels and see if it looks like there is rust stains on the wheel coming out of the hub. Also if the bearings are bad enough, you can wiggle the wheel around with your hands. If its that bad, its not safe.

Stupid Nissan I had a couple years ago was a bearing eating fool.

6. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Okay just pulled the front tires off I can move the calipers around like they aren't even tight, are they supposed to be able to move like. I have never seen a caliper be able to move around when bolted on and I can't tighten them up anymore:confused:

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check your wheel bearings.;)