Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody know the specs on the stock roller cam in Vortec motors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Aug 5, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

For a 98 motor, 350, does anybody have the specs?

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Well it's probably under 200 degrees @ .050" and probably about .400 lift. It will most certainly be a split pattern cam (most GM cams are) with a bit more duration and lift on the exhaust side.

Part of the reason these cams are so tame is because they are made from cast iron as opposed to steel like other roller cams. Cast iron can't hold up to the fast ramp rates common to roller camshafts.

Are you trying to replace it with something identical or do you want to just "go up a step"?

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Somewhere I have the cam that came out of my Vortec motor. I just havent got a CLUE where it is! Otherwise I would try to measure it for you. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Ask Twiztid, he works at a GM dealer and may be able to get the specs form a book there.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Part of the reason these cams are so tame is because they are made from cast iron as opposed to steel like other roller cams. Cast iron can't hold up to the fast ramp rates common to roller camshafts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Chris, they are the prettiest shiney billet steel. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In any case, the "tamer" cams make more low end torque, and GM's newer motors tend to be REAL torquey.
    (and are more likely to get better mileage, so less emissions concerns)