Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody know what pressure the brake system runs at?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, May 3, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'm trying to chase down a potential leak in my brake system ... thinking I could pressurize the hardlines, do a leakdown test. Anybody know 'bout what pressure the brake system runs at ... I swear I remember 1200psi once, but then the pressure bleeders tell you to run below 20psi so you don't blow anything up... any ideas?

Also, I presume the gauges we use for air would NOT work very happily for brake fluid, so I should leak test with air?

-- A

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

have seen brake pedal pressure testers with 1500 psi gauges on em.

i think they tell you that on the pressure bleeders so that you dont overpressure the master cylinder resivior which is usually at atmospheric pressure.

can you just lock the brake pedal in place with a block of wood against the seat and check for leaks? or have you already tried that?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, carp, hadna thought of that :doah:

Of course, the pedal goes all the way to the floor, which is what I'm trying to fix ... but I'll start with that. Thanks!

-- A

4. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may also try blocking each brake hose one at a time and see if your pedal height changes.