Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody Know Where the Motor Cutout Switch Is In a 2nd Gen Tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, May 4, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

First, some background:

My rear glass will blow a fuse if I hold the swith (dash or key) after the glass is all the way up or down.

Well, I noticed in the LMC catalog that they had a "motor cutout switch" for the power tailgate window. I was placing an order for some other stuff, and figured I'd go ahead an get one and see if it would eliminate my problem.

Only thing is, I can't figure out where it goes! The diagram in the catalog isn't too helpful.

Anybody else replaced one of these or know where it goes? Does it actually go INSIDE the motor?

2. neverdone

neverdone Registered Member

If its the switch I think you are talking about, its mounted on the left hand latch. I have never replaced one, so I can't help there. I dont think thats your problem if the window still goes up and down.

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Like 'Neverdone' said, it is on the driver side latch inside the tailgate, I just bypassed mine, I hate those things anyway.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That switch is so you can't raise or lower the window when the gate is in the down position.

5. Okiemuddog

I am well aware of that, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I am the only one who will be driving my rig soooo. I am pretty sure I can look back to make sure the tailgate is up first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Plusit makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on. Now I don't have to get the cordless drill out to roll the window up and down to work on it.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am well aware of that, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I am the only one who will be driving my rig soooo. I am pretty sure I can look back to make sure the tailgate is up first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Plusit makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on. Now I don't have to get the cordless drill out to roll the window up and down to work on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all well and good, but the original question about this switch was also about the blazer blowing fuses when he hits the top or bottom of the windows travel. This switch won't do anything about that. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. BrianDamage

I'll look again and see if that is the switch (the one on the latch)...seems like it looked differant for some reason, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking and hoping when I bought the switch it had something to do with the full up or down position, but apparently not.

What would cause this to shoot fuses likle that? It's really annoying because it's the same circuit as the radio. Like I said, it rolls up and down fine, but if you hold it just a second or two too much, it blows the fuse. I thought about changing the motor out, but I'd hate to do that and that still not fix it.

8. Okiemuddog

Well back to the original question, IMHO I would replace the motor or check your wiring real well for rubs and cuts. The only thing I would think it that the motor is overloading the circuit or grounding out internally. Not be a smart a$$, but are you sure you have the right size fuse too.

9. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]
    Not be a smart a$$, but are you sure you have the right size fuse too.

[/ QUOTE ]

positive- at least according to my owner's manuel