Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody live in their pole barn/garage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 31, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

No, not like I'm homeless and sleeping in a tent in the corner...

The wife and I compromised on the house we have now and don't want to do it again. So after we move south we want to buy land first (a decent chunk too, at least 5 acres - 10 or more better) and then build a pole barn on it. I remember years ago there was a guy on here that had his "apartment" inside of his pole barn.

The thought is get the land, build the pole barn, save, make plans, build the wife's...errr...our dream house later after she's done with dentistry school.

Thoughts, experiences, etc?

2. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Makes perfect sense to me. I've seen them down here with "apartments". Mainly on working ranches for the hands. You could probably do something romantic and rustic(read rough wood and inexpensive) on the inside and get by. It kind of depends on what your wife's expectations will be.

3. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

It can be done. My buddy use to build them all the time. There are a few of them around here. One thing to watch is zoning so place wont let you build them like that.

4. AJMBLAZER

The wife is the stumbling block but I figure it's just like any other building so you can furnish/build it up as nice as you want.
    Her original idea was we built a pole barn and got a trailer on the future land...which got me thinking why not just get a big pole barn and put the living quarters in there? No need to get rid of the trailer in the future than.

I used to work with a guy that was single and did this. Bought some land up here, built a large pole barn, and made a "house" running one whole side of it. Never got to see it though. I'm told it was quite nice and you couldn't tell it wasn't anything other than a house from the inside.

Yeah, gotta keep an eye on the zoning. Although we are moving to North Carolina so they might just not care...:wink1: Kidding...

5. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

what part of N.C. you moving to?

6. AJMBLAZER

It'll be the Raleigh-Durham-Chappell Hill area. Wife wants to go to UNC-CH for their dental school.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Several familys I know lived in a travel trailer while they saved/built their house. :wink1:

8. AJMBLAZER

Well, with 8 years or so of expensive ass schooling coming...the house is likely a good decade away.

Not to mention from some of my wife's ideas...coughfantasiescough...about what the place will be like I don't think it will be cheap either.

9. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

let us know when ya get down here.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

great idea.then you can build what you want.i forgot to tell ya in your other thread that i might be able to help you with your roof. material wise that is.we have a store in Traverscity.let me know !!!!

11. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i did a job at a big radiator shop a couple weeks ago, probably an acre sided building, the old owner built an elevated floor on part of the building and lived in it, i was looking fo a bathroom and found the guys house, pinched a loaf in the toilet and kept working, but it was pretty nice in there, you get double insulation by having your house inside of a bigger building and its just as nice on the inside, but on the outside its still whatever structure its in... i want to build one permanently

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do it...

I lived in an airplane hangar.. yup, a big corrogated metal building... 30" ceilings, 50' x 100'.... had a 2 story apartment built in 1 corner... wood framed....

plenty of room for projects and at night I would set big ramps on the walls and turn it into my own private skatepark (super smooth crete floor!!)

It was cool, except one thing, living in a place with no windows drives you INSANE!!!

[​IMG]

13. AJMBLAZER

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten my long lost cousin Daryl.

Which actually might be possible, sorta. Know anyone named X in the Dearborn area?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Man if I had it my way, I'd set up my shop like that with living quarters for me and my boys so I'm only two sets away from my Blazer/project!

The wife and daughter would be in the 'real' house while me and the boys would live with our toys!

On the weekends, walk across the driveway and visit the girls :D :haha: !

15. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

I like that idea! Now if I could just convince the wife....

16. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Interesting...My brother lives in Fuquay Varina, a little southwest of the area your looking at. That area is growing like crazy.
    I was going to build a polebarn/apartment when I bought my present property, but the township was being a pain in the arse about it. It could have been done, but not without considerable hassle. I agree in that I think it depends on local ordinances.

17. AJMBLAZER

How's he like it down there? I've had family down there since before I was born and my brother is currently working/training there for Cisco so it isn't entirely a blind move for us.

The wife hasn't asked yet just what we'd do with the living quarters after we build the house. Bachelors quarters?

18. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well he's not like most people down there, being from MI he has adapted somewhat. He hates the city (He has customers from Winston Salem area to Raleigh mostly) and all it brings. Most people down there like it pretty well from the ones I've met. Their town is pretty small, so that goes well with me too when we visit. I hate the narrow roads with no shoulder to them, especially when a semi is coming at you. And the red dirt is pretty different. Seems like all the pavement has that red tint to it.

Anyhow I think a bachelor pad would go quite well after building a house, or it would make a heck of a playroom for the kids.