Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody local have a hub socket I can borrow for a day?...Nevermind

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Sep 7, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my wheel bearings and I'd rather borrow a socket than buy one if I can. I'm picking up the parts today, and I'd like to have my rig back together within the next couple days. So....if anyone has a socket they'll let me use for a day, that'd be hella cool! I can even offer up some beer or other various beverages in exchange for the use of it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Re: Anybody local have a hub socket I can borrow for a day?

I got a four pronged one for a D44...
    Kind of a ways to drive though, but if you need it, it's here.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the offer. I think Muddytazz is willing to let me borrow his. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif For what it costs me in gas to drive up there, I can buy quite a few of them /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have one for a dana 44 if you want to use it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif also they are only like $12-14 at baxters /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think I might hAVE one and I'd be the closest,I'll go look and let you know.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nope , sorry.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they are only like $12-14 at baxters

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, they aren't that expensive. I went to Six States Distributors and pickued up the parts to do my wheel bearings. What started out as a $60 fix turned into $125 real quick when I decided to do eveything up front and not have to worry about it again for a loooooooooong time. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Anyway, part of that $125 is a hub socket.

If you guys haven't heard of them, Six States is the place to go for Dana/Spicer parts. Best prices in the area /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also, they have killer mud flap kits for $25 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'm gonna need one of those before the rainy season hits /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Now, anybody wanna come over and show me how to pull me front axle shafts so I can replace the u-joints in them? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I busted both yokes on the driver's side once, went to the Six States in Eugene for my parts. They have one in Vancouver?

I was able to figure out how to do the fix, and had no experience at that point. It should be a LOT easier for you, cause my ears were bent out and they wouldn't pass through the knuckle.

Pull the wheel, move the brake calipers out of the way, pull the hub, remove the hub nut, pull out the lock rings, pull out the wheel bearing, remove the rotor/hub assembly, unbolt the spindle from the knuckle. Watch out for little things and how they go back. Once you get everything out of the way, the axleshaft and stub axle should just pull out in one piece. Then its just like replacing a normal u-joint.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The Six States is located just across the bridge in Portland. They also have a killer driveline shop. They quoted me $50 plus parts to fix my front driveshaft. Everywhere else has been at least $100-$125 plus parts. I'll have to drop it off to them in the next couple weeks..if I can...once my wife sees this bill plus new tires this month...she's gonna freak...sure am glad we have a comfy couch... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

The upside is that once this is all done, my axle will be totally rebuilt. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. mudhog

what new tires are you getting?

11. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

If you need a hand Jeff is available tomorrow, he offered himself this time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He is a whiz at doing front ends I was so bad about driving them til the wheel bearings fell apart /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i got a Dana 60 one... think its 6 prong.. and big. lol!

j

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Either the 36x13.50 or 37x12.50 Iroks. Not sure yet. I really like the clearance I get with my 38's, but the 36's might be better for my rig. I can't go 39.5's 'cause that's just too much tire for my running gear.

14. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Either the 36x13.50 or 37x12.50 Iroks. Not sure yet. I really like the clearance I get with my 38's,

[/ QUOTE ]
    dude as bald as yer 38's are...they ARE 36's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. mudhog

thats the nice thing about these irok's they are lighter then the tsl's are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif go with the 37's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

:flipoff: too true /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    irok's...are lighter then the tsl's are...go with the 37's

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking. But if I go with 37's I won't be able to buy them before the 25th. Heck, I may not be able to anyway. Gotta fix/figure out why my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is wandering so bad right now. I need to do some serious trouble shooting. I'm going jack up the front end and check fopr play. Also I need to pull my steering box to see if I cracked my frame my last trip out. It wanders a lot more than is used to. I know FOR SURE it's out of alignment /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif