Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody make....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rooster53, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

I have a 1988 K5 350/V8 TBI
    my K&N air filter is in a round black metal case on top of the TBI. I want to get one of those chrome lids for the top and bottom but I can only find the chrome holders for on top of carbs. Dose someone make a chrome holder for on top of TBI?Sorry if this is a comon sence question.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

K&N makes one, actually. When I priced it, it ran about 100 damn dollars tho- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Go down to your local auto parts store and go to the "pimpin ain't easy" show and shine section with all the chrome. Get yourself a 14" Spectre housing, it's cheap. It also comes with a paper filter. Before you leave though, there are two black plastic spacers, a big one and a small one, something like 3" and 1.5", can't remember the specs though.

When ya get home, take some sillycone and put the two spacers together with the sillycone and let dry. Once you are this far, everything will go together, place the spacers over the TBI spacer thingy, then the housing. This is my setup and yep, it's redneck as all get out, but it's a lot cheaper than paying out the a** for the K&N custom when you are broke.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 1988 K5 350/V8 TBI
    my K&N air filter is in a round black metal case on top of the TBI. I want to get one of those chrome lids for the top and bottom but I can only find the chrome holders for on top of carbs. Dose someone make a chrome holder for on top of TBI?Sorry if this is a comon sence question.
    Thanks,
    Tom

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you looking for just a chrome cover but using the rest of the stock breather or a whole assembly? The top is the same as the Carbs. I have mixed and matched. The top on my 88 Burb 454 is the same at the top on my 79 350 blazer. Now the bottom is w whole different animal with a different snorkle.
    Personnaly I think open element is a bad idea.
    1. your sucking hot under hood air. Putting a 85 air cleaner with a snorkle on my 75 made a HUGE improvement.
    2. When your wheeling you can pop the crill end of the snorkle out and point it towards the battery where it's not likly that you going to suck any crud into the carb when bounsing through mud holes and puddles at speed. I have seen many people go throu a 6 inch puddle and drowned an open engine air cleaner to the point they had to stop and sling the water out of the filter to get it running again..