Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody move the rearend leaf springs and mounts to the front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm500hprat, Mar 5, 2007.

1. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

Im building a truggy and Im starting to hack apart the rear of the frame and Im looking at the spring hangers for the front and rear of the rear springs. The idea crossed my mind to move the 52in rear springs to the front. I noticed the front springs have a wider bushing. My rear springs are pro comps and are really soft. I will eventually 4link the front, but this project is getting pretty expensive and I would like to reuse these springs and see how it goes since its not going to cost me anything. The rear is 4 linked using 4" TJ springs the truck sits at about a 2in lift height. If I moved the rear hangers and springs to the front I could use grade 8 bolts and a little creative cutting of the hangers and mount it on the front of the frame and the leaf pack should be tucked up in the frame enough to even out my trucks stance and still give it a decent amount of up travel. The rear springs are 6in lift with some plys taken out. With the stock hangers and the lenghtened shackles I have the front end will sit too high and the rear will be squatting.

Any ideas, anyone done this before? Is it totally lame, any answer but link it, I already know that but I still have a lot of parts to buy.

Thanks in advance Art

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

3. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

Pretty close. The springs I have right now use rubber bushing that are still in good shape so i probably wont knock them out and put in some urethethanes. But on the spring hangers Im talking about removing the rear ends hangers and moving them to the front. and removing the front ends hangers and scrapping them, If I reused the stock front hangers I would have like 8in of lift in the front of my truck and 2 in the back.

In this picture you can see my rear springs and the spring hangers Im talking about moving these to the fron. Notice how the spring eye locations are almost level with the bottom of the frame, this would give me a lower stance then the stock setup thats in the front.

[​IMG]