Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody put a bigger cam in a TBI454??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, May 29, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have new cam that I was gonna put in my burban with the 468, but sold that, and tried to sell the cam at a local show/flee market. Well, it didn't sell, so figured might as well use it. It's a Comp Cams Xtrme Energy 268, hyd. flat tappet. Can't remember what the specs are, but wondering if anybody put this or close to in their motors. My motor is all stock, no computer mods. Just don't want to put it in and have it not run right, or stupid engine light that keeps coming on...

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I went to Comp Cams web site, and looked up your camshaft grind. IMO, that cam would be a little too agressive, and would not work for a "slap it in and go" install. Someone would need to spend the time "custom" (not off the shelf) burning an EPROM to make that cam work right. I think the Comp Cam 260-AH would be a good choice for a "slap it in and go" install, on 454 TBI computer controled engine. This cam would involve no custom EPROM tuning, unless you wanted to, in order to optimize it's performance. this cam has a duration of: Intake 212/Exhaust 218 @ 0.050 of lift, with a gross lift of 0.503".

4. MTBLAZER89

Hmm I wasnt aware of that as I bought the truck this way. How would I go about getting a chip burned? What would get better with a diff chip? Mileage? Power? It seems to run great right now

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

its a slippery slope once you throw the cam in and begin down the road of chip burning.. the performance MAY follow but the mileage will not...
    I think on this motor chevy got the best mileage it could and aftermarket stuff (of which I tried everything on my build) had minimal gains when compared to cost...
    cfm tecnologies for tbi tricks, headers,,, good intake and air cleaner.. good ignition... these are relatively cheap ways to help power and NOT have mileage suffer (other than your right foot)
    if smog was not an issue then gains could be made... otherwise .. little can be done in cali that can stay inside the smog nazis window

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I would recommend www.tbichips.com if you're looking for a custom chip. Brian over there helped me out with my engine, building a custom chip based on my engine specs and my preferences. When I first drove with the new chip, all I could say was "wow." It made a huge power difference. The throttle is much more responsive.

I used a stock 1989 suburban as a doner vehicle swapping all the sensors and controls. My engine is the 1977 block and heads, which are far from the TBI specs - .040 over, 8.8:1 compression, comp cam, bigger valves, port work, eagle crank, exhaust, etc. So the changes over the stock programming was significant.

He did a great job for me!

Mileage....don't know yet.

7. MTBLAZER89

Smog is not an issue pleasee tell me more:D

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe I will try to sell again, really dont' want to be messin with the motor in the 89, it runs perfect. Anybody want to buy a BBC cam???

9. MTBLAZER89

well re-reading the post. 1 ton were you talking about my cam is to aggressive for stock tuning, or b454? How is my cam for a stock motor sorry for the hijack 454:D oh and cam tell me more about mileage gains without smog restrictions. Hmm I might make a new post

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was talking about the original post by b454. Your cam is actulley perfect for a TBI 454. Your camshaft has almost the exact same profile as the cam (Comp Cam 260-AH) I recommended.

11. camiswelding

the motor makes about 8-10 mpg in stock form factory new driven conservatively...

tbi tweaks,, balanced injectors,,, tbi chips... edelbrock makes a tbi package with heads and a cam... theres guys making SS headers.. even full on cast iron headers (spendy) for it.. and if you can do away with the smog pump (burning a new chip so the computer doesnt look for it anymore)
    realistically about 10 mpg is all you could ever hope for.. but you can go from 240 hp to 500hp and still get the same mileage with modifications (if you can keep the grin factor down and your foot out of it///

If smog was not a factor and since the above means an outlay of at least 3k to build the motor I think the better option would be to go the non smog 502 and be done with it.. chevrolet has it figured out better than 9 out of 10 people

smog... may become an issue for everyone soon if we get gore as a candidate...

12. MTBLAZER89

Ok cool thanks. So if I remove the smog pump will the truck run funny because the comp is looking for it? I want to remove all the smog lines and sh!t all over under my hood.

13. camiswelding

what you would be doing..in essence .. is trying to turn a smog motor into a non smog motor.. yes it can be done yes gains can be made.. BUT the heads are designed for smog and wont give the performance of a non smog motor,,,

and yes the computer will look for the air pump sensor which will be missing,, and throw trouble codes... to get around this you have to program the computer to accept no sensor here (Im not sure how to do that and the chip guys would have to guide you on this)... to test this try unplugging the sensor from the smog pump and see what happens.. you wont hurt anything.. if it throws a check engine light and a trouble code then do the reset of the computer by disconnecting battery power ( your battery (ies) cable) for 15 seconds for reset... Ive never done it as our smog is so strict here so I dont know what/if a code will be thrown.. and I dont know if the engine WILL run rough or not

One caveat...
    removal of smog nazi equipment is a federal crime.. Even if you live in a non inspection county we do have roadside inspection and there are other ways dmv and the smog nazis can catch up with you.... My advice for california vehicles... unless you plan on owning it for life and are sure dont screw (permanently) with smog stuff that cant get put back on or youll lose your investment

Once again .. an earlier non smog 454 hi po would produce gobs of horsepower over a tbi smogger

14. MTBLAZER89

Ok cool. I am pretty set on doing this. I live in CA, but I am military and my trucks are Regd in MT and I am smog exempt:D I should only be in CA for 2 more years too. Is just running a non smog pump belt an option?

15. camiswelding

I dont think you can get the belt to track without hitting something.... the pump has to go