Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody race cars?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by BigBurban350, Jul 16, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Next summer I need a project to work on and I want to build a race car or atleast start it so I can race it. I am some what new to the low end racing circuts. I was thinking dirt ovals or something similar. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice? Thank you.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Pure stocks, no idea what they are called near you. My dad has 2 cars a Pure Stock and Street Stock. Pure stock is a completely stock car just stripped big time, tires, and a roll cage. Most guys have motor work but your not suppossed to. The Street Stock is about the samething but your allowed to mod your suspension a lot more and you can work up the motor to your hearts desire. Bigger tires too.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just remember that dirt tracking can be expensive. Everytime someone bumps you just remember $$. Thats why I like drag racing. But if want to do a low end, then a bomber car is the way to go. My buddy finished first last year with a mid 70s pontiac station wagon. The 400/th400 combo was unbreakable. the car was toast at the end of the year, but the motor and tranny are still good. He ran complete races without a waterpump belt, or a radiator hose.

Dan

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha yeah it can get expensive. The cars may look like they cost $20 but they aren't cheap. Race seats, belts, cage work, fuel cells, tires, and motors add up. Especially as you move up. It multiplies as you go. And you most likely won't be satisfied running the lowest class forever.

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, dirt racing is not the way to go on a budget. My friend at work races a dirt car and they are always fixing something on the car. Either they have a motor problem or someone wrecks it. And when they wreck, they wreck BIG TIME. He said their carb cost $1200 alone! Axles are custom, custom suspension, etc. The price gets way up there. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'd go drag racing. That is what I love! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BigBurban350

Well, then i would just get a beater car and put money into saftey and the engine. I like the competition on a multiple car race.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhh thats big time comp stuff probably a dirt modified or late model. Our carb would cost oh $300 maybe since its a 2 barrel holley.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it is late model. His car is badass. It'll tote the front tires down the straightaway. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you often see modifieds and late models cut down the drive side front tire and you know what? it doesn't matter they don't need that tire. 550+ horsepower and a suspension setup to suck onto the right rear means that tire sees little real use.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yep, when the front tires never hit on the straightaways and the left front is up in the turns, that tire hardly sees any use! Their SBC right nos is pushing 700+ hp. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

yes [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Drag racing is the way to go. You don't have to worry about someone else f-ing up your stuff.

12. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i would highly suggest going to your local track...see all the classes that race,then go talk to the drivers and really look at the cars...so you can get a first hand look at them and then youll have alot better idea what you wanna do and how much it will cost ya

13. BigBurban350

[ QUOTE ]
    i would highly suggest going to your local track...see all the classes that race,then go talk to the drivers and really look at the cars...so you can get a first hand look at them and then youll have alot better idea what you wanna do and how much it will cost ya

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, thats a really good idea...Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I have raced stock car enduros (200 laps, 100 cars , no yellow flags), one-on-one oval drags (2 licensed street cars for one lap on an oval), bracket racing on the strip. This year I helped out a pro demo team build a couple cars for team demolition derby (5 clockwise laps on a muddy oval, 4 cars per team, 2 teams at a time, anything goes)--- one of the cars had 800 dynoed hp.

15. BigBurban350

Do you still race? How did you get into racing?

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Enduro is where my dad started out. He raced that for countless years, but Enduro is pretty well gone around here, now hes into the Street Stock and Pure stocks(closest thing left).

17. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I don't do enduros anymore...the track I raced at closed up for good in 2000, and I miss that track dearly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was a paved 1/5 mile track. It was slick as grease anyway. They allowed cars as small as a Chevy Citation and AMC Hornet all the way up to a Caddy Fleetwood. Wagons, coupes or sedans were allowed. Only safety rule was a door bar on the drivers side, plus seat belt and helmet of course. No major injuries ever, believe it or not.

The only enduros around here are now run by a semi-pro sanctioning body and travel the region, with a real tight set of rules. Roll cage and fuel cell are required. Nothing against safety rules though. Too much $$$ for my blood. The rules call for only coupes or sedans midsize or larger. Not much too look at for the fans in my opinion.

The closest track-run enduro is 3 hours away from me. If I ever buy my own trailer, I may just take the plunge and do it again. I prefer track-run enduros, as it seems a lot cheaper to run.

There is a local track here with a Spectator Class, which is cars as small as a Chevy Beretta all the way up to a Caddy hearse. 4 to 25 laps, minimal yellow flags, lots of carnage. No roll bars or fuel tank rules. Up to 26 cars at a time. Minimal injuries too, if ever. I may give that a try someday.

18. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

hey glad i could help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..ive been racing since 1987..my dad started in 1976...at our track,the demo derby club has members that sponsers newbies......kinda cool,i think

19. BigBurban350

I just went to a race (less the drag strip) for the first time, it was very exciting. There were a couple of really good races. I remeber this one race of michigan modifieds, this guy came from the back of the pack, with a little help from cautions he moved up. Well this was an exciting battle for the checkered, a few laps left he took first position then he come off the side a little bit and lost momentum letting the guy pass him. Then he got back on the throttle and over took the guy that just passed him about a lap after he screwed up and took the checkered. It was awsome.