Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody run 37" MT/Rs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Dec 14, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

guy at work has a set of 37 x 12.50 MT/Rs for sale, and he told me he'd make me a really good deal on them if i helped him with his Bronco. has anyone in this area run them before? this includes you In/MI/OH/ILL guys. most of my wheeling will be in Attica at the Badlands, with some lighter stuff locally. no mud really. also, does anyone think i could get away with running them on a 10 bolt front?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If your smart with the skinny pedal they could last. If your wheeling area requires wheelspeed then it is less likely that a 10 bolt front is going to take it.

I am doing ok sofar at making a 10 bolt front last with 35" MTR's. I know I will probably break it at some point so I am prepared for the breakage.

If az-k5 gets off his duff and gets some 40" MTR's like he needs then I will let you know first hand how 37" MTR's will last on a 10 bolt front. :deal: :rotfl:

But seriously though MTR's are an awesome tire. They work well in just about every terrain except mud which you said already you don't run much of. I am VERY happy with my MTR's performance sofar. I have run them for about 1 yr now and have had some good rockcrawling on them.

Harley

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm thinking about bringing my truck down 1" in the front, and 2" in the rear, running the 3/4 tons, and 37s. the 4.10s that are in my 3/4 tons would make for a more street friendly rig, less weight, and a lower CG. the latter two would not only make it more street friendly, but make it more stable on the trails as well. seems like a win/win situation for me if the 10 bolt will survive the 37s.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I ran my 37's on my D44 for a solid year. No problems, I was open however. And yes I like the MTR's so much I really want the 40's.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you have a front locker? If not that will make it alot more likely the 10 bolt will hold up fine. The only other thing to do is make sure your ball joints are in good shape. Bigger tires are harder on ball joints. The amount of backspacing on your rims is a major factor there too though.

Harley

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the axle was just goine through about a year and a half ago, and has been sitting in my garage for a year. everything with the exception of the gears/carrier and the shafts were replaced. as for the locker, that's one thing that i was still in the air with. locked at both ends would be SOOO much nicer.

also, on the rims i would probably stick to something right around 3-3.5", which seems to be the norm around here

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Just stay out of the gooey stuff and they should work out alright in the midwest, although sometimes that can be hard to do.

8. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

I love my MTR's. Great on rock, not much mud here in the Sierra's. My 35's have worked well on my D44. With an open diff and easy on the pedal, you shouldn't have huge problems with breakage. I'd jump on them.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I was reading through my old 4 Wheel & Off Road mags (I know, I know), and they did a tire test that involved having a Jeep shoot through a huge mud pit shod w/ different types of tires. The MTR's did good in that test. So maybe they do ok in mud? I have no personal experience with them, just thought I'd toss that out there.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Are you really going to trust a magazine that rates one of their largest advertisers tires well? They also said that the Baja Claw sucked, yet in their latest mud tire test, they said it does great. Take what you read in a magazine with a grain of salt.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I was implying what you said in my post. DAMN YOU FOR NOT CONVEYING THE PROPER TONE, INTERNET!!!

12. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I can tell you from first hand expericence they suck in mud, if you care

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I just wish they made a 38"-44" MTR for a 15" rim:frown1:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've been told with lots of wheel speed they clean out ok. still, dont like the cleanup that mud generally brings, so i'll try to avoid it for the most part.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you'll be real happy with them considering I bet your rig pounds pavement more than it sees the trail.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

this is quite true, however it has something to do with decent terrain being 50+ miles away. might as well drive it if you're gonna build it. unlike some peoples trailer queers- i mean queens.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

At least you're not in denial. :D