Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody run Greasel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I just came across this site ... It talks about converting a regular diesel to running on waste vegitable oil. Anybody done this? I'm not going to do it... I don't even own a diesel... but I think that the idea is really neat. One especially cool part to it is that you need to do NO engine modifications. You basically run a second fuel system up to the engine for the veggie oil, still need diesel for cold startups (or they said you could just plug in the block heater and it would be fine)

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Oh, I forgot.... It said that the 6.2 diesel was perfect for running veggie because the injector pump is in the v of the engine and soaks up engine heat very well. Heating the veggie is a big part of the conversion.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 6.2 and a 6.5. I have talked to the Greasel people. I will do the kit at some point in the future. It's a pretty neat concept to run a vehicle on free fuel.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Yeah it is... only thing that I don't like the sound of is hunting down the oil, that stuff is pretty nasty after its been sitting around. Filtering and setteling and filtering over and over could probably get pretty messy.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> So would your exhaust smell like french fries? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I saw something on TV a few weeks ago about this.. What ever the oil was used to cook is what it smells like.. Can you see driven down the free way and getting behind one and start smelling onion rings..

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you see driven down the free way and getting behind one and start smelling onion rings..

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta be a fast food companies dream come true...advertising by smell.

"mmm....something smells like french fries. Mom! I'm hungry!"

8. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> So would your exhaust smell like french fries? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

it literally does.

I saw a VW Rabbit converted to a grease burner and it did smell like fries.

The Rabbit drew more people at this cruise nite than the $75k showcars.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Check around your area, lots of peeps have seen that idea, and it is just not as easy to get ahold of anymore. You can't run that stuff in the winter months.

We have to keep our Bio Diesal heated during the winter, and deliver it to indoor locations only. That is even a 20% mix in winter blended fuel too. Can save you money, if you have the equipment to pick up large enough quantities.

Lots of peeps are using that stuff for indoor heat also, making the demand for it higher too.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Beaver Oil is the best to use.
    But its getting harder to find. For some reason, demand has skyrockted. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

The greasel website said that they still use regular diesel for startup and shutdown, to get rid of cold start problems. I didn't know that it would smell like french fries!!! I want one now... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pretty neat idea. It'd be even cooler if all of us converting to run on veggie oil would make the enviro wackos STFU... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

totally... runing a zero emissions 4x4 would take away a lot of the eco-nazis ammo...

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

true, but we all know they'd just make a smooth transition into whining/crying/b!tchin' about how we "tear up the environment with out big tires" and "leave all kinds of trash and spilt fluids in our pristine forrests" and "put other drivers at risk with our over-weight vehicles" etc etc etc etc. They are leftists... appeasing them is pretty much like trying to appease a terrorist... it just aint gonna work.

j