Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody run the Goodyear 36x12.5R16.5 Wrangler RT/II HMMWV tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Apr 25, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The K5 I'm seriously interested in has 38x11R16.5 Boggers on it. Too tall, too narrow, and too extreme for the daily driving and weekend trail use I'd be using the truck for. So I've decided on some 36x12.5 tires, but really shouldn't push my luck and spend another $800 or so on TSL's or TSL SX's./forums/images/icons/frown.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Found out I can get good condition military surplus 36x12.5R16.5 RT/II's rather cheap. So how are these things for daily driving and trail running? It'd be my good weather daily driver, so no snow/ice driving, and I'm in Michigan, so Moab is out of the question.

Also, anyone ever done business with Boyce Equipment? That's who I'd probably get the tires from. Their website says good condition 36" RT/II's shipped to your door for $100 each. Sounds okay to me.

2. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i have them on my truck, seem to do ok here in michigan, as far as inexpensive tires go. Side lugs grab in the mud good... but don't expect super swampers.

i get mine for $35 each... i don't know if they are as good as boyce's or not??? i also pay $60 shipping and usually order like 8 at a time

3. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I bought 20 of the 36" Hummer tires. They all looked new or close to new. I got them for $20 each. I now know why the government sold them. They were crap. I could not get them to balance and they did not perform that good. On the highway they were awful. For a not serious offroad mostly truck on a budget, they would be acceptable but not at $100 apiece. Just my 2 cents, but if you go Hummer tires, get the 37" radials. Also instead of getting them used from the military, try ebay or the hummer boards. You can sometimes find good ones for about the same price as Boyce that have a good history.

4. AJMBLAZER

kickin, so you liked them. Can you still get them? Where do you get them? What's your price on a set of four?

Oh, and where are you?

Sorry for all the questions, just a pleasent surprise to find someone familiar with them and using them in The Hand State./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. kickinasphalt383

i like them for $35!!!! i get them from gensco tire in texas. http://www.noflats.com/ its $60 charge to have them shipped up here... thats $60 to ship one tire or $60 to ship like maybe 10 or more tires. they run out some times, but i usually don't have a problem gettin them. i can get a digital pic in the next couple of days to show you the tread life too. oh and i live in royal oak.

and if your getting rid of those boggers i might be interested /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

later,
    nick

6. AJMBLAZER

Well, I gotta get some numbers between www.USA6x6.com, and your guys at http://usa6x6.com/Military/image.phtml?&select=tires&image=Mo%20tires.jpg/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    No idea on the amount of wear or the cost of shipping though. Going to email the guy.

This whole thing is conditional on selling my current 92 IFS Big Blazer./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Found a steal of a deal on an old K5 that is totally built. However, I'd be using it for a daily driver during the good months, so the Boggers are way to much for me. Perfect world would be keep the Boggers for serious playing, but I really can't afford another set of tires without selling the Boggers./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Still, IF I am able to get the K5, the Boggers are up for sale as soon as I can arrange replacement tires. They'll have about 400 miles on them by the time I get them home. I'll post them on my website listed in my sig./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

It's all conditional, but man, I want that K5!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. kickinasphalt383

yeah those cut ones from usa6x6 are awesome!! i cut my last set of humvee tires, picked up a decent amount of extra traction over non-cut ones (that center rib is useless off road).

its real hard to say what the best deal is since you are dealing with used tires and the tires you get one time can be totally different from the ones you get next time.

8. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I just got a brand new set of these off ebay from a guy in Texas. I have only had them on for a week and no complaints yet but it is too early to tell.

9. AJMBLAZER

Kickin, thanks for the advice and the links man. I'll let you know if I get the K5 and have the Boggers up for sale.

Chris, I'll check on Ebay, thanks for the tip. Really like the looks of the cut tires, but if I can get a deal on them, I don't think I'm loosing much. Are you the Chris in chvyhs' pictures?

10. AJMBLAZER

Kickin's guys over at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.noflats.com>www.noflats.com</a> are some good guys./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Four of them delivered to me in Michigan would cost me about $202./forums/images/icons/cool.gif $35 a tire and $62 for shipping./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Guy who answered the phone was very friendly and honest. He said he'd set 4 nice ones aside for me, even after I told him this might take a few weeks./forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif