Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody run this diff cover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Steve, Nov 9, 2005.

1. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

After my "gov bomb" incident I would like to keep an eye on things.I want this cover and was wondering if anybody is running it?It's made with kevlar so it is strong,they say as strong as the steel ones.
    [​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

They say it crushes but pops right back out. Don't actually know anyone running one. only issue with that is it will hit the ring gear if it crushes in.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, if it actually does crush in and "pop right back out" I wouldn't run it. Think of backing up against a big rock, the cover crushing in while you're still on the gas, and a tooth on the ring gear getting a hold of it. :eek1:

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

id run it only if i had one of the tube skidplates just to be safe

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

While somewhat of a novelty, who cares?

Stop running axles that are coming apart and you won't be worried so much! :)

Seriously though, I don't see the point of being able to look at the diff (especially if you think there is enough of a problem to inspect it) if you aren't going to change the fluid.

Don't get me wrong, it does look neat, Just not something I'd personally spend money on.

BTW, sounds and looks like Lexan to me, not Kevlar.

6. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't want one cause your gear oil will only look like that for one mile, after that it looks nasty like the Loch Ness :haha:

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If I were to run one I would have a rock ring with the ring guard, like the one from poison spyder, that way you worried about it getting damaged.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree - a few miles and you would see nothing more than with a regular coverexcept for maybe the fluid level. Just check it once in a while and it should be fine.

9. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

This was from Summit:
    Clearly outstanding gear covers.
    These ClearGearz differential covers from Trans-Dapt Performance are clearly a smart choice all around. The transparent covers not only look extremely cool when installed, but it also allow you to inspect for abnormal gear wear, oil levels, and for contaminants that could ruin your gears and shorten rear-end life. The polycarbonate material is the same material used in bulletproof glass, and is as impact-resistant as steel, but cleans easily with soap and water. They feature a metallic, ceramic-coated steel mounting flange that looks excellent and ensures gasket rail integrity. All covers include necessary bolts and washers.

10. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

It's a polycarbonate of some kind for sure. Kevlar is a fiber, and wasn't available in clear the last time I checked.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yep, cool polycarbs. Not doubt its stronger than a stock cover... but I don't see much point in spending the $. A GreatLakesOffroad cover is $110 and pwns that thing.

j

12. Mammoth2

Mammoth2 Registered Member

How much? $110.00

13. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

The clear one is 129,that's why I haven't picked it up yet.

14. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Glass is stronger then steel too, but I don't see any glass covers. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, stronger usually means more brittle as well. It's one of those generic "that could mean anything" terms, like faster/better/etc.

Just like a fiberglass body panel, one crack/gash/snag and it's a $130 paperweight. For that kind of cash you can get some serious diff armor. Or put that as a down payment on a beefier axle. :waytogo:

15. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I think it is cool but would it stay clean inside? Dont think so, none the less I would love to know because it looks cool. Personally I dont wanna know what is going on inside my 12 bolt with my gov bomb. Would be fun to mount a camera down there and with that diff cover and watch it xplode. :D I would just go with a beefy cover if I was to upgrade and keep checking the fluid level.

16. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

On second thought, that would be an excellent addition to a RICER K5, so long as you put neon lights inside your axle. Don't forget your axle could use a spoiler too! :o

17. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

it is a cool idea just seems better suited for a show truck or an educational display than for use on a trail rider

18. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I agree. As for the "claims"... I don't think it would make "checking for gear wear" very easy, when you can only see some of the gear. Like mentioned, the oil will be pretty gnarly looking real fast... nothing cool about that. About the only thing good.. if you got a lot of water in the diff, you would probably see that well enough. You probably won't be able to see through the cover until the truck has been sitting at least over night, or close to as long.

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe mount some LED's inside and paint it like a pumpkin. It would glow and all. :haha:

20. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

ken from www.eastcoastk5.com uses that one i think on his rig. he wheels hard and often, and his is keeping up.