Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody run without a kickdown on a TH350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Calclips, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    What did you guys do to keep the tranny fluid from puking out of the hole where the cable attaches to the case?

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

just cut the cable off,and bolt it back into the tranny so it dont puke out.......do it on my race cars.........works fine.....dont forget to pinch the end of the cable where ya cut it off...

3. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

What's the purpose of the kick down cable and why cut it?

4. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

For the tranny to shift properly in normal use, the cable must be installed and adjusted correctly. The cable attaches to the detent valve in the trans and directs regulated modulator pressure to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves. It provides WOT downshifts and part throttle 3-2 downshifts. There is no reason to run without it on a street driven vehicle.

5. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

As Barraza said no sence in running without it unless you don't feel like running to the store to spend 10-20 dollars on a new one. On the other hand you don't need it to shift up you just need it to shift down when your on the skinny pedal. You can always manually shift it with no problems, but the decision is obviously yours. Only time i've heard of that you really need it is with a 700r4. The kickdown kinda acts like a life line for your tranny... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Mines not hooked up. Ineed to fab a bracket for it since the old one won't work with the vortec heads. Its been like that for about 2 yrs now no problems, but I never drive it on the street.

7. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

If you dont have a manual\automatic valve body.. and you take it off... you are eventually going to kill that automatic valve body. Just be ready to replace it. I did the same on my monte carlo. No kickdown, with ratchet shifter. Blew it. installed manual/automatic.... never had a problem since... But I must say.. without one.. eventually, it sucks @ss.

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Ya, especially when it shifts into 2nd and you want to pass someone. Impossible without that kickdown and these 39.5's.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your '85 has a TV cable (if stock 200-4R) the TH350 uses a detent (kickdown) cable, totally different animals.