Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody runnin 6 lug up front and 8 in the back.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 11, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

i don't really see an advantage to swapping my 10bolt 6lug to 8bolts except that i can carry a spare tire, but for a truck that is maily a local/weekend driver/trail rig, don't you think it would be ok??? the rear is a 14FF by the way. that way i can just order new tires/wheels and get diff. rims up front(pattern that is) and not spend the 200 on swapping to 8lug...i can put the 200 towards the dana 60 i will be building up....what do ya'll think??? does anybody do this now????\
    also, will 16in wheels clear a dana 60/14FF

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can buy expensive six lug hubs nowadays , semi expensive six lug to 8 lug spacers , or just convert the front . It looks funny that way , two spares take up weight . And the 3/4 ton brakes are slightly larger .

3. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

hmmm...everyone says i can use my 1/2 ton brakes with the swap...im still researching it now though...

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

But if it's just temporary and you aren't worried about a spare then I guess it isn't a big deal. Just hurry up with that D60 cause it's gonna look funny... I think Avery is driving his around like this right now.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I bought the parts I needed to convert a 10-bolt to 8-lugs from the local junkyard for $50.

For the brake parts, the calipers are the same between 6 and 8-lug. You just need 8-lug rotors and the backing plates/caliper brackets.

6. jrraw23

jrraw23 Registered Member

Not to hijack the thread but still definitly on topic: I was wondering if you could take those 6 lug to 8 lug spacer/adpaters and flip em around so you could use it on a rear 14 bolt to run 6 lugs w/o having to get those super expensive 6 lug hubs?

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The calipers have the same mounting pattern, so they will function, but the 3/4-ton rotors are larger diameter. That's why 15" wheels won't fit over them. Also, true 3/4-ton calipers (JB7) have a larger piston and use a larger brake pad.