Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody running a chip in their TBI equiped 350's???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Jul 17, 2002.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Anybody running a chip in their TBI equiped 350\'s???

I was thinking about getting a chip for my '89 Jimmy to up the performance until I get the time to rebuild. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Anyone have any input on this? Pros and Cons??? Do it - don't do it?????
    Thanks! -Tommy

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Re: Anybody running a chip in their TBI equiped 350\'s???

I did a Jet Stage II chip in mine, didnt seem to make too big of a diff till i put on headers, which is what the stage II is designed for. A stage I is supposed to make power w/ manifolds and stock stuff. I know it wasnt just the header pickup, because it feels like a good bit picked up and i doubt it all came from the headers. I say do it, for the entire 'power package' for my truck was like $189 or somethin, chip only is like $139 or something, ang this had a wanna be K&N filter (same basic design) and a low temp stat w/ it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone I've ever talked to that puts in a "chip" and takes it to the track, has gotten very poor gains compared to doing "hard" changes like headers, etc, which is to be expected.

To still stay emissions legal (if the chip is) and get more performance, without killing mileage, there probably isn't much a chip maker can do to improve on what GM did IMO. I could be wrong, but GM doesn't turn out low performance vehicles intentionally, if they did, they wouldn't sell squat for autos, and if you could see massive gains from chips, it would be more popular.

4. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

I put a Stage II Jet Chip in my 87 and didn't notice that much of a differance if any. It was a birthday gift though so the price was right. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Phil

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh, the thing w/ the stage II is that they are meant to have a low temp stat, intake work, headers, low restriction exhaust, etc, so if u dont do anything, BUT the stage II chip you wont see much of anything.

6. Re: Anybody running a chip in their TBI equiped 350\'s???

I put a Jet stage II in a 99 Ram my x-wife has and I didnt see any difference that I could tell. I ram preminum fuel like it says, had a Gibson cat back, high flow intake,etc.. In vehicles the size/weight of ours, 10-20 hp is not much. I would save my money and get a good set of headers/exhaust and maybe a cam. I think it will do more for you. IMO

7. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Hey K20,

My truck has an Edelbrock TBI intake, port and polished heads, K&N, Hooker headers, dual 2 1/2 inch high flow Catco cats, 2 1/2 inch Flowmasters, Comp hyd. roller cam, MSD Ignition, and the thermostat that Jet recommended. I wasn't all that impressed with the results but I do believe that every little bit of performance helps. With all the little upgrades the truck runs pretty hard. I'm sure the chip has helped in some ways.

Phil

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

o ok, didnt know what all ya had, with mine JUST the chip, it helped my idle a good bit, it used to idle real high, stuck the chip in, and it idles fine now. That was the most notable part then.

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Chipped mine and it brought the power back to what it was with 31's, after I put on the 33's. The headers were just a bonus /forums/images/icons/cool.gif