Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody running a Klune V between an SM465 and Chevy NP205?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Title says it all. I am looking for some pics and or better information on this setup.

Depdog

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

3. Depdog

Yep, seen the Ford stuff, I want to see it on a racetrack pattern NP205, are you doing a doubler on yours? Drop me an email.

Depdog

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Didn't Cole at 4 wheel and offroad run one? Pretty sure he did. If you don't have his email, I may still have it. Surely your got your old issues don't you? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KP

5. guest

guest Registered Member

GM New Process 205 Transfer Case

1971-1979 GM NP205

These cases used an 8 bolt, sort of oval bolt pattern. These units require a ¾ inch thick (intended for use with the mounting foot, ¼ inch thick) adapter plate to interface with the Klune-V Extreme Underdrive.

Input Spline: We have run into three different input spline configurations on these cases.

The units supplied with a 4 speed typically had a 10 spline male input shaft. Crawler output shafts are available to mate to the 10 spline cases. The units supplied with a T350 automatic have a 27 spline male input shaft. In order to couple the 27 spline units to a Klune-V Extreme Underdrive, it is necessary to replace the input gear with a 10 spline male or 32 spline female. This gear is available through us. Note: The 32 spline is stronger than the 10 spline input.

The units supplied with a T400 Automatic have a 32 spline female input. This gear is directly compatible with the Klune-V Extreme Underdrive, which can be supplied with a 32 spline output shaft.

1980 and Later GM NP205

This unit uses the same 6 bolt circular pattern, with a Chevy clocking of the pattern. It is a direct bolt up to the Klune-V Extreme Underdrive. A spacing of 1" is required in order to clear shift mechanism movement. This spacing is obtained by use of a 3/4" spacer in conjunction with the ¼ inch thick mounting foot. These parts have a clearance notch machined into them to clear the shift rail.

These units are customarily supplied with a female 32 spline input. A 32 spline output shaft in the Klune-V Extreme Underdrive is provided for this application.

6. Depdog

Yep, read all that several times. I am looking for someone that has done it and can talk about the problems or lack of in putting it in.

Depdog

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the only problems I have seen are the ridiculous $$ ($500usd each) they were asking for the 2 adapters that were required.
    by the wording of the website this may have changed.

8. Depdog

I sent Greg at Klune an email. I have a 2wd sm465 sitting here at the house. I am currently running the 4wd sm465 and np 205 combo. Here is what he replied.

Klune Between 70s SM645 and NP205 $2,312.87
    1 Adapter: SM465 to Klune $367.87 $367.87
    1 Klune-V Extreme Underdrive (David or Goliath) $1,695.00 $1,695.00
    1 Mating kit: Early GM 205 (8 bolt "racetrack" pattern)

Depdog

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did price get cut off the fig8 mounting kit?
    $250 ?

still looks to be a bunch more then a doubler.
    is there a 35spline 2wdr 465 version Klunev that makes it more attractive for you? or just the 2.7 vs 2.0 reduction?

10. Depdog

Dunno, that is a direct cut and paste from my email. The price on the Klune has dropped as well, used to be a little over 2 grand.

Depdog

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I bet you don't need to buy any of those adapters if you have these three pieces:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Depdog

So the top one, is that a sm465 to NP208 adapter, the middle is a new style np205 (round pattern) dont have a clue as to what the bottom one is.

Depdog

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

32 spline output shaft for a 465! Ask me how I know! It all works fine! And to tell you the truth, it's stronger and easy to do, and a lot cheaper! Hook up a 203 and yo're good to go! DOUBLER! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif