Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody running a locker in a 2wd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoad, Jan 5, 2007.

1. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i've got a 90 c10 on 29s, that i'd love to put a lockright in. anybody running a similar setup?

i'm worried it'll fishtail real bad in the winter on the road. i don't have 4wd to pull out of it, and i can't really run 4wd on the street anyway.

i don't see a 4wd in my future, so i'm trying to make my 2wd perform a little better. i don't wheel this. just for DD and out on coutry roads/dirt roads stuff like that.

i'm not worried about summer, it's the winter part i'm worried about.

2. Masontw01

Masontw01 Registered Member

i don't share your problem, but wouldn't a good solution be to get an airlocker so that if you need it you can have it, but if in the snow you can't get traction you can turn the locker off? sounds like a winner to me!

3. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

air lockers (and any other selectable locker) are lots of $$. can't afford it. i'm pretty sure lockers are cheaper than limited slips, so i'm going this route. plus i don't want a limited slip, i want a full lock.

if i had lots of money i'd do what you're suggesting. :)

4. Masontw01

Masontw01 Registered Member

i see. i was under the impression that an air locker wouldn't be a whole heck of a lot of extra $ compared to a normal locker. guess i was wrong! good luck though.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The 10 bolt ARB I bought used came out of the rear of a C10 in Minnesota.

I've read more than a couple tales of woe in dealing with lockers on ice & snow, but I'm not qualified to make any direct comments since I live on the Left Coast.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my old truck was good in snow till detroit install. more than 2-3 " on ground it was time for 4x4 to go stright line or the back end fished out to darn easy.

with that i run a 2x4 1ton. i have 14ff rear. i love my stock gov-loc in the back end. open till i need it and drives great. havent been stuck yet with her.

but i would only run a 14ff gov-loc never any smaller axle ones thay blow to darn easy.

7. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

I have a detriot in the rear 14 bolt and I do not like to drive it in the rain. If it's a DD, I would recommend a selectable locker or a limited slip for the bad weather. Heck, even in good, dry weather I have to remember the locker is back there while going around corners.