Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody running a passenger side drop atlas with a 700R4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, May 26, 2005.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Looking at getting an Atlas for my '89 project. I have been talking directly to AA and was told there may be a tranny pan clearence problem with this setup. They told me to wait on the drive shaft 'cause I may need to buy a smaller diameter shaft...

I did take some measurements on my Rockwell axle and the yoke is about 1" more out board than my Dana 60. That may help with the clearence issue...

Anybody running this?

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm going to guess that the Atlas would fit about like an NP205. I swapped in a 700r4 into my 76, did the short shaft output to mate the NP205, and ran into the tranny pan issue. In fact, I had Bayshore Truck do a front driveshaft for me with a 1310 CV and 2 inch .120 wall tubing to get it in there. Even going 1310 CV with a smaller tube, the CV is about a half an inch to an inch from the tranny pan and could still hit. I am going to do a doubler which moves the front TC output back 6-7 inches. This will allow me to throw in a 1350 CV shaft and lessen my front driveline angles. Another option is the Klune V, which accomplishes the same thing. Do lots of homework first. I thought I had, but as it turns out, I didn't do enough. I had planned on doing a doubler eventually. Now I have to do it.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

B - F - H :thumb:

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The Atlas Adaptor comes with a spacer to make up for the extra length over the t350. I am assuming it's like the after market spacer you can buy to bolt up the 205 to the 700 without the replacement AA shaft like you went with.

I am trying to track down a drawing that shows the measurements from the input center to the front output center. This should give me a better idea if it will fit or not... I guess if the worse comes down, I can go with a T350 instead of the 700...

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You are the master!

:bow:

6. nvrenuf

I can't weld but I can sure wield a hammer! :rotfl:

7. Desert Rat

That spacer better be pretty long if you are going to avoid having the CV be close to the pan. In retrospect on my project, I would've skipped the AA output shaft on the 700r4 and gone with the spacer. I don't know that it would've bought me enough to run a 1350 CV, but I hear that it can. If that AA spacer for the Atlas is basically the same, you may be good to go. Even though I'm pissed that I'm not finished, it was a good excuse to buy a doubler......

8. nvrenuf

Since DP has Rockies will he even need a CV on his shaft? I would think he could run a standard shaft with a single joint at each end (putting the slip yoke up top so the fat tube is most likely below the tranny pan).

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

nvrenuf hit it again!

No CV for me, going to run 1350 u-joints on the case and 1410 at the diffs on the Rockies.

However, I am concerned about the shaft being so much higher on the diff end with the rockies.

Desert Rat, do you have any pics available of your current setup?

Thanks

10. nvrenuf

I told you I was good with a hammer. :D

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The YJ from Hell has a D300 behind a 4L60E. Front driveshaft was an issue at full bump. I had to modify the pan which meant converting it to the 700 pick-up & filter.

12. Desert Rat

If you go to my gallery here on CK5, you can see a bunch of the front driveshaft pics near the tranny pan.