Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody seen articles from the news about off road industry growth

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Oct 20, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

???

Looking for something on the net that refers to the growth of the off road industry as a whole? Been searching for hours and can't come up with nothing.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Haven't really seen anything from the media world. But from what I have seen the last few years, the industry has made a giagantic leap forward.

One example is the Off-Road Expo. Don't quote me on this, but I think the thing has more than doubled in the last two years.

Another has been the rockcrawling scene. Just a few years ago, seemed kind of low key, then there are comps everywhere and the industry support that has grown with vendors up the ying yang making or selling just about everything possible. I don't remember it being this huge at the start of the century. Heck, the crossover of stuff that birthed in the world of desert racing has found a place in rockcrawling.

I think because rock crawling has found a niche that desert racing never really had. It seems to be a little bit cheaper to compete, plus it's spectator friendly which adds up to sponsors shelling out $$$$$$.

With the comps, even here in OK, a couple of times a year, there's events within a 5-8 hour drive of me. Plus in the mecca out in NV and CA, seems like there's always a comp every weekend. Desert racing, maybe two events a month, possibly 4-5. Problem is the areas they are held in. Mexico, SoCal, NV. This is a drive for the people.

And let us not forget those evil, dirty rotten scum sucking a**bag treehuggers. They make it downright insane for anything we like to happen. If you ever get a chance, talk to a promoter. Last year, I had to chance to chat with Big Rich from CalRocs/VORRA about what he had to go through to hold an event. Believe me, if you ain't Sal Fish or have $$$$, desert racing is kind of hard to pull off. He had to cancel I think 2 events this year because of problems with the BLM. Though it's a little easier staging a rock comp, you should just hear about some of the stuff he has to go through to pull them off, just dealing with the BLM.

I think the Internet, with places like PBB and here has really done a big service to the off road world, and a lot for rock crawling. I think in the years to come, if people keep their wits about them and continue responsible use, the off-road world will continue to grow.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ABC News I think it was aired a piece about pro crawling a few nights ago. All I've seen in the mass media.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that was UROC at Badlands in Attica, IN. Tim, Jeremiah, myself and a few other members were there for it.

5. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    ABC News I think it was aired a piece about pro crawling a few nights ago. All I've seen in the mass media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I seen the bit the did. It was CBS but I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the clip with Rob Steffy in it from Pittsburgh? Robs a cool guy!

7. cybrfire

Yeah, that's the one. Was a cop I think they said.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yep, thats Rob! Great guy! He used to have a pretty sweet TJ, then went to a buggy. And the trails that they showed him on were in Wellsville, OH where Jerry(JK5) and I wheel alot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif