Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody seen big truck hi/low gears that engage in the alxes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My father used to have a 1977 7-ton Bedford truck made in England. Cool truck with a 6 inline cylinders.

Anyway, that truck and many others in my country (Fords, especially) have a special low gear which you engage via an electrical switch. There was an electric motor (the size of a wiper motor) bolted to the third member that moved a lever from one side to the other and voila, you were in low gear. I'm not sure how much, but it felt like 1.5:1ratio.

Anybody seen those? Is there something similar for our axles? Just curious.

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I have seen them on my buddy's dad's kenworth, and on the Mack R model he drove before he got the kenworth. I doubt theres anythoing like that for us. It would be cool though.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A lot of medium and heavy duty truck axles have hi/low range setups in the differentials. To use it on a 4X4 you would have to have them front and rear.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Not necessarily, you could use the high range for street use and low range for 4wheel drive. Just have the front set up to match the ratio when switched to low range.