Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody tackle the wiring harness on an 88 Blazer for starter??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTaz77, Nov 20, 2001.

1. BigTaz77

BigTaz77 Registered Member

Anybody ever had to reroute and replace the wiring that goes to the starter..Dam wires fryed to the starter..tonight..anyway to replace that wiring setup without having to yank the motor out of this puppy?? You can't see them from the top ,,they are way underneath the manifold on passenger side.., through the cylinder,,can't get to them..looks like they route behind the engine in between firewall....Any body that has done this or know a better way...Please Let me know..Its getting really cold and need to get her back up!!

Thanks in Advance All!! BRRRR!!!! Its Cold Out Here..

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BigTaz77 on 11/20/01 11:37 AM.</FONT></P>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Starter wires for the 88 should be no different than any other SBC, just more crap in the way perhaps. You can go to the wrecking yard and get the wires off of any other 81-91 truck. (maybe earlier, depends on the bulkhead connector) The wires easily come out of the connectors with a paper clip, and you can just swap them that way. Can't remember if there are 2 or 3 wires to the + terminal on the starter, but in any case, its battery cable, and either one or two red or perhaps orange wires that go to that same terminal, and one purple(?) that goes to the small start terminal. On my car, its two red wires with two fusible links, that join together at the connector for the starter. And I forgot, the red wires run up to the distribution block as GM calls it, on the firewall, same height as brake booster approx.

You can run your own wiring, but using the proper color makes diagnosis of problems easier later on, and using the correct gauge/fusible links is nice too : )

I think once you drop the starter you will be able to see most everything clearly.

Should be 1/2" or 10MM to disconnect that bulkhead connector from the engine bay side, and it seperates into 3 pieces. (just slides apart)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by dyeager535 on 11/20/01 11:34 AM.</FONT></P>

3. BigTaz77

Nope can't see it clearly, can't even get it to it , inner fender wall is in the way, the f$%^*&amp;* maniflod is in the way.. man this tight,, already dropped starter down.. didn't make a differnece at all.. looks like the heater assembly is going to come off and some other things,, here we go again..3 hour job turns into a week of aggravation!!!

Love To Hear That Thunder Roll! Under the Hood That Is!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm. Since I ran mine similar to the 70's truck (starter wires that is) I believe they go FORWARD off the starter, and up the front of the block, then back along the valve covers, and then cross over, thats why I can see them so well. And probably why you can't on the '88 lol. (AIR and such would be in the way)

I would look into routing them like the 70's trucks (as I described) because it will probably be a lot quicker, and would still be "correct" just not for your year truck. Have to find longer wires obviously, but you are either going to have to make your own, repair yours, or go get used ones anyways.

I have no problems with used wiring, especially when its as simple as the starter wires. You can visually tell if its cut or not, and I have yet to have any of the truck wires that are corroded internally beyond use. (then again, my truck never spent time out east)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. BigTaz77

I'll Definatelt have to do that conversion with wires.. Wired a complet circuit earlier last year for my Wifes s-15 wasn't too bad, she was down for a bout three days.. this one I already see is going to be a pain in my ass... Thanks Bro!!

Welp off to work I go in the Garage that is...

Love To Hear That Thunder Roll! Under the Hood That Is!