Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody tow with a 4L80E?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by beater_k20, Jul 21, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

title says it all. how does it do, and what are you commonly pulling with it? what mods did you do to allow it to handle the load?

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have the 4l80E in my 97 6.5 truck and it pulls just fine. I have talked to several transmission guys that tell me this a very strong dependable trans. I pull in OD all of the time. I have a guage on the hot line to the cooler and run synthetic fluid (Mobile 1). I changed it twice in the last 45,000 miles I have had the truck (now at 130,000) and still shifts fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 4l80e has 177k miles on it now and has never been rebuilt. It towed a 5th wheel travel trailer, 10k pounds, for the first 130k of it's life, then the last 50k has been with me doing runs to the dump every weekend and 4 wheeling. Very good trans.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

At 90K I had to pull the converter out of my '00. Setting a trans slippage code, line pressures were fine, no material in the pan, oil not burnt. Clucth plate must have glazed over. Previous owner didn't tow much of anything with it.

Installed a aftermarket tow converter, installed trans-go 4L80E-HD2 valve body kit and mobil 1 synthetic fluid. Shifts much firmer, not harsh, converter comes in really firm. Towed my dodge+camper with a GCVW of about 17,000lbs and worked great. Above 60 I ran OD as long as the RPMs would stay about 2000, then I'd down shift and run 3rd.

EDIT: The 4L80E in my '91 suburban took a dump however. 4th gear mechanically failed, hard parts. Truck has 106K on it and the trans was replaced with a GM SRTA @ 88K.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my 96 dually 4x4 had one. i didnt have any complaints about the tranny. just the fact that the 454 drank to much and didnt have the power to be pulling GCVW of 18k lbs. im not much for slushboxes and i will say this. i think i would have to work VERY hard to destroy a 4l80e.

my opinon of them is this. if i wanted a slushbox the 4l80e would be what i had.
    Grant