Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody tow with an 8.1??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Jun 22, 2006.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, my wife really likes the Avalanche. I am not totally keen on them but if it tows well I will live with it. If I get one it will have to be 3/4 ton and the only engine they had was the 8.1. Anybody have one? Is 12 mpg realistic not towing? Any known issues with the engine? It will be a daily driver/tow pig for the most part.

2. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Got a 2001 burb with the 8.1L...

The truck is awsome and tows great. We towed my buddies Blazer from Denver to Moab this spring and it did real well over the mountains. If I remember correctly it got about 8mpg towing. 12 is on the high end of average for empty and I'm a pretty conservative driver - but with that much power it's kinda hard to keep your foot out of it. Too much fun! I tend to see 11-12 mpg with combined city/hwy driving.

Before the trip I took it in to have the transmission flushed and things checked out. The service writer said they don't really have any problems with the engines exept they tend to use oil; at least the earlier models did. I know mine does. They also see the crankshaft position sensor (is that right? Is that a real thing?) going bad. Don't know about the newer ones. Only problem I've seen is that much weight up front on the IFS tends to eat the front end components like pitman and idler arms.

Hope this helps.
    Jason

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

My 6.0 ltr barely got 12. It gets 14 now with the bully dog tuner.

Any idea of the gear ratio? The 6.0 ltr is 4.10:1.

There are guys in my club that pull with the 8.1 and they have not complained about any issues...

Too bad they don't put a DMax and that.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No chit, I'd be all over an Avalanche with a d-max.

5. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Ok, Since an avalanche discussion came up I feel like I should talk about my experience with mine.

Bought an 04 z-71 brand new, black on black,fully loaded, everything but the dvd player. I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted and I put my 79 k-5 up for sale.

First thing, not soon after I bought it the new smell" which it never had" was completely gone, with a nice replacement smell of mustiness. Found out the back window was leaking. It went back to the dealer 9 TIMES for the exact same problem. Not including the fact that the midgate itself "unalligned itself" about 2 or 3 times.

The info center on the dashboard went out, and had to get a new one.

I finally decided to sell it not even owning it a year. I couldn't take the issues that the thing had anymore. So I sold it and kep my K-5.

On the 3/4 ton avalanches they have steering issues. I was a member of an avalanche group and here is the website. Ask questions before you consider those things, I just wish i looked into it more before I jumped in on one.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/index.html

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

My fiends dad has an 8.1 in their suburban. He gets 5MPG towing their toy hauler. Not exactly sure of the size 3?'?!?

7. socalslider

socalslider Registered Member

I have an 01, 4x4, 3:73, with the 8.1
    I average 8.5, or 9 mpg, freeway it'll get alittle better.
    power is great, just forget about mpg

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My dad had an '02 2500 with the 8.1. Liked everything about the truck except the gas mileage. 8-9mpg is what he told me, when he still had it.

9. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I would get a 4 door shorty D-max 3/4 ton pick'em up truck instead. Convince your wife to like on of those instead.
    Then you will get 15 to 18 MPG unloaded and 12 to 15 MPG towing.
    Plus if I am not mistaken the pick up is less expensive even with the D-max in it.

Plus the Avalance is an ugly waste of sheetmetal if I ever saw one. JMHO!

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If I go diesel it will be a Dodge.

11. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

You mean waste of plastic, right?

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have never owned an Avalanche and after seeing a number of them I never will. I don't care for parts/panels etc. that fold/remove or whatever. Problems waiting to happen. To me the Avalanche is a "jack of all trades" but good at nothing. I'd get a truck.

13. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I've got an '02 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 and I LOVE it. Yeah it only gets 10mpg in town and 13 on the freeway. I usually still get 12-13 when towing my 5500-6000# load. I have the 3.73 gears with the Allison (which I believe you cannot get in the Avalanche). If it were me and you wanted the shorty 4 door package get the 4 door super shorty bed truck with the Allison. You won't ever look back unless your hung up on 18-20 mpg with a truck.

View attachment 25788

View attachment 25789

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  14. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

talk to scott wayne, or 77 on creepers, get him to hook you up with keene. They will do you right on a cummins. Imho you should just go diesal, i wish i had when i got my hemi.

15. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

You were talkin GMC with the AV so I figured that was your brand preference. Really if you are buying a diesel that was made in the last 3 years, they are all pretty good choices. And they have all had their problems too. Dura-max, PSD and Cummins.

So in my opinion go diesel and don't look back.

Tim

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I already have.