Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody towing with a newer 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by wayne, Dec 28, 2003.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just looking to see if anybody is towing a K5 with a 88 or newer 1500 series truck, preferably a 4x4 extended cab short bed with a small block. We are going to be hunting a tow rig soon and I prefer to get a 3/4 or 1 ton but looking for some feedback on how the 1/2 tons do with over 7000 pounds behind them. Keep in mind we will be towing up and down mountains to get to our wheeling spots.

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I have been towing mine around on a towbar behind my wifes 2001 Ram 1500. Its 4x4 with a 318 and an auto, shortbed quadcab. It pulls it along very well, with no problems at all. Mind you, there arent any mountains I have to contend with yet, and Im not sure Id want to without some sort of brake setup on the K5 to help out. (but thats another post hehe) I have been thinking about a trailer, either a lowboy flatdeck ball hitch type, or a recent find a 18' fifth wheel highboy. Im still thinking, but they are both equipped with two electric braked axles ... have yet to find out if Id come in under my weight for the tow rig/ trailer combo. My K5 weighs in at 5500 lbs with no top or doors.

Later
    Mike [image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9325&size=big&password=&sort=1&thecat=500[/image]

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Therobzilla tows his gen 1 with a 1/2 ton 2wd extended cab shortbed dodge. It won't set any speed records but you can park it and drive past a gas station when you aren't towing. I tried to use my dad's chevy Z71 (1/2 ton extended cab short bed) it didn't like it, I didn't like it, my dad didn't like it, but it worked.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

IMHO, do not get a 1/2 ton for towing that kind of load. The 3/4 is a much better choice for towing that weight. I've towed with everything. 1/2ton - 1ton. The 1/2 ton is just not suited suspension/drivetrain/brakes for 7000lbs even though the manufacturer may say so.

My .02,
    John

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

My Dodge 1500 is equiped with Air Bag rear suspension helpers, and Rancho RSX shocks. Along with the fact that I use a weight distribution hitch with the trailer and have electric brake on both axles of the trailer.

I also have a K&N air filter and a Throttle body space and run a heavy duty trans cooler. I don't drive like a physco and or set any speed records. I also have an old Alaskan slide in camper in the back of the Dodge. It's works as long as you keep your patience and stay aware of what you are doing.

I would not do this if I had a better tow rig. Still looking and just can't afford one yet.

Rob

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Towed my old blazer 1000 miles with about 8,000 lbs combined trailer weight. Did it with my dad's 2001 ext cab short bed 5.3 chevy 2wd. Pulled it amazingly well and at 65 mph on the flats. bogged down on hills, but what do you expect. I was very impressed with that truck for pulling as a 1/2 ton!

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I towed a Bonneville on my trailer from East Coast to West Coast using a 98 Ram 1500 360 with towing/cooling package. I also used it towing my buggy around for a while. Not exactly fun or fast but it did the job just fine.

But I was worried about the transmission, and I can't stand not being able to hold speed on a grade. I now drive a 2500HD Duramax/Allison so that should say the rest...

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

You can pull about 9k with the newer 5.3's, as long as it has 4.10's.

9. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

I've got a 99 Siverado, regular cab, long bed, 4.8, 5 speed, and 4.10s. I have a K&N FIPK and dual exhaust.

I've towed a couple of heavy loads. I towed a '69 Bronco from NW NC to Charleston, SC. The Bronco was on a U-Haul car hauler. It did alright on the flats, but it bogged down bad on any bit of a hill. I also pulled a Ford 9n tractor up a road that had a 9% grade for about four or five miles. And, I've also pulled a trailer loaded with Christmas trees (heavier than you might think - over 5000lb.).

IMHO, don't even look at a 1/2 ton. Yeah, it gets the job done, and does fine in flat areas, but I had it in 3rd gear, standing on the skinny pedal, and running high rpms to get that tractor up the hill.

FWIW,

Jim

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the 1500 trucks are rated that high?? A 2500HD with the 6.0L and 4.10's is only rated up to 10,000 lbs. for a trailer so I can't imagine an 1/2 ton with the 5.3 being rated at 9,000................

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just looking to see if anybody is towing a K5 with a 88 or newer 1500 series truck, preferably a 4x4 extended cab short bed with a small block. We are going to be hunting a tow rig soon and I prefer to get a 3/4 or 1 ton but looking for some feedback on how the 1/2 tons do with over 7000 pounds behind them. Keep in mind we will be towing up and down mountains to get to our wheeling spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have one use it, but if you're hunting to buy, go for a 3/4 ton or a 1ton, you will not regret it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

My buddy pulled my 69 Furd F250 for me about a year and half ago. We flat towed it about 20 miles over some slight hills and a lot of curvy road. His truck is a 99 regular cab, short box Z71 with a 5.3L. He's got some metric 33's on stock tires. It struggled a little on the hills, but it did a good job, especially considering my Furd tipped the scales at just over 3 tons!

Kris