Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody TPI'ed a first Gen

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Anybody TPI\'ed a first Gen

If so what did it take to do as far as the fuel pump in the stock tank and accessory mounting. Thanks

Chris =)

I think the exhaust fumes have finally gotten to me!!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Anybody TPI\'ed a first Gen

<font color=blue>I have a 91 TPI setup sitting in my garage. I'm either going to make a fuel cell or get an 87-91 K5 tank with the fuel pump already in it, and just put in a pump with higher volume.

3. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 1990 TBI on my 72 blazer This took some time to do with a couple of friends. I didnt have a clue about fuel injection until we finished this.( still dont ) I put the intake manifold on my stock 350. with this application you have to drill out the 4 center bolt holes. If you have a newer block this would be easy. You have to get a knock sensor to put in the block and a oxygen sencor to put in the exhust.
    For the fuel tank i put in a 90 blazer tank this way it is all stock that way if i broke on the trail or in town i could get parts from any parts store.
    As for power it's there off the start but im not sure about top end I think its because im running 5:13 gears with 44 inch swampers.
    I know this is a great up grade for me.I will gladly let you know what i went through.Later 1 FN HI K5
    PS you can kinda see the gas tank in my webshots page look in Hot August Night's

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 1 FN HI K5 on 08/26/01 08:42 PM.</FONT></P>

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

I did my TPI swap in Jan. this year.Went into my 71 SBC 350 Blazer.Basically a bolt in affair.Biggest trouble was the fuel feed and return lines.I used my stock Blazer tank and just spliced in the fuel pump and filter into the existing fuel line.I then ran a return line down the drivers side frame rail and tee'd that into one of the vent tube located by the main fill tube.
    I have had no problems with fuel starvation with the tank less than 1/4 tank,even when going around corners with a low fuel level.I may just be lucky though.My electric pump was designed to push fuel and not pull or siphon it out of the tank.This may shorten it's life span and I may need to adapt a "in tank" pump in the future.But for now thing's have worked fine the way I have them.I had pic's on one of those internet photo storage sites but it folded.I got my brother-in-law to down load the pic's.I just need to get the disk from him.You can e-mail me with any questions at blazbk@excite.com.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to the pic's I took of my TPI install.Hope it helps.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292391623>http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292391623</a>

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Wow Bob awesome album. Thanks for all the pics. Lucky for me I am putting the tpi on before I install the motor in the truck. I have one question though, what did you do about having the computer reprogramed?

Chris =)

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

The company I bought it from,Jim's performance http://www.jimsperformance.com/portinj.html

8. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

1 FN HI K5,

Could you tell me more about putting the 1990 balzer tank into your '72? What did you have to do and how was the fit? I need a new gas tank and I want to go fuel injected.

Thanks,

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I haven't done it yet because I am still engineering some parts and subsystems, but I'm working off of an '86 ECM, '86 wiring harness, '89 hard parts and sensors, overbored throttle body, ported SLP runners, and I'm probably going to get a TPiS Big Mouth intake. I have two fuel pumps. One will supply a sump tank with fuel, and another will supply the fuel rails with fuel from the sump tank. I might plumb a return fitting into my fuel tank, since I need to pull it anyhow. I am thinking of having TPiS reprogram the EPROM so that it will work with my combination.

10. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Steve are you gonna run the MAP or the MAF setup. The one I have got is a MAF setup off of an 88 camaro. I am just planning it out now. What are you gonna do about the VSS sensor etc.Also does anybody know anything about the new TPI manifold for the vortec heads. Do the ports line up nice or are they kinda off. Thanks

Chris =)

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Roost,you got a P/M.BobK

12. Steve_Chin

Roostr84, I'm using an MAF setup ('86 ECM, '89 hardware). JTR has an inline VSS that plugs into the driven end of the speedometer cable, between the cable and the output on the transfer case. See: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jaguarsthatrun.com>http://www.jaguarsthatrun.com</a>

13. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>How does this VSS compensate for gearing or tire size changes? How much is it?</font color=blue>

14. Murph

Murph Registered Member

I installed a 91 TPI in my blazer and used the same VSS sensor that Steve is referring too. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but I seem to remember around $80? Anyway, the way I understand things, the VSS mainly prevents stalling upon deceleration. I do not believe that tire changes and gearing would affect the VSS too much. Steve, correct me if I am wrong.

15. Steve_Chin

The Vehicle Speed Sensor doesn't compensate for tire or gearing changes. That's all taken care of by the speedometer gears in the transfer case (hence, the VSS is driven off of the driven gear or off of the ratio adapter at the same speed as the speedometer cable). All it is there for is to tell the ECM how fast the car is moving so that it can make some decisions on ignition timing (all-electronic TCC, if you will) and mixture (when in open-loop mode).

16. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I don't have the VSS hooked up in my TPI swap and don't have any problems with stalling on sudden decelleration.No stalling at anytime actually.

17. Murph

Murph Registered Member

Here's some info on what the VSS does and effects of not having it installed. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html>http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html</a>
    As Steve mentioned, Jags that Run is a great resource for a TPI install.

18. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>How much is that speed sensor? Which one do I need for my NP205?</font color=blue>

19. Murph

Murph Registered Member

Since you have a 91 (same as mine) you would need either the 4PAC ($69) or 4PAC with extension ($83). The plain ol' 4PAC should work just fine.

20. 70K5BLZR

70K5BLZR Registered Member

if your looking for easy tpi install scheck out the site from ELECTROMOTIVE in VA, they have awsum conversions! Other good information can be found in TURBO&amp;HI TECH Magazine!! Good luck!!