Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody tried Yokohama Geolander M/T's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Mar 13, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

anybody tried Yokohama Geolander M/T\'s?

<font color=green> i had seen these tires and thought they were a good looking off road tire, and so i done some checking since im planning on going to 35's this summer, and they list for around $140 a tire, which is a good deal for me seeing how im going off to college in the fall (NCSU RULES!!!!), and i was wondering if anyone on CK5.com has tried these tires or heard any complaints?

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by achuskies69 on 03/13/01 02:08 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. achuskies69

Re: anybody tried Yokohama Geolander M/T\'s?

<font color=green> Anybody?

[​IMG]

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i'll be honest with you in that i have not used these tires.
    however i did read an article comparing tires in this class in Petersons 4wheel and off road. they seemed to like them and said they were a capable off road tire.
    they were very comperable with the mickey thompson Claw tires in function.
    but i guess it depends what you use them for. then again i'm a college student as well and my BFG mud's mostly only hit the DC beltway anymore.
    if you're into rockcrawling they may not have the sidewall strength.

--adam H

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I know somebody that ran the Yokos on his truck. He wound up getting his $$$ back as the tires refused to hold any where near a balance and the tread was wearing ackward. I've run other Yokos on a car and had other odd quirks with their tires. I'd avoid them. My $0.02.

5. achuskies69

<font color=green> alirght thanks dude, it looks like im gonna go with maybe Pro Comp Mud Terrains at the end of the summer...

[​IMG]

6. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

There is a guy who lives on my street that runs them on his Ramcharger. In fact he works for 4Wheel drive magazine so he would have real good info on them. If you can wait 2 weeks I will ask him what he thinks.
    David

7. Re: anybody tried Yokohama Geolander M/T\'s?

A fella in a local club runs them on his 4runner,he loves them.He bought it from Allpro offroad,it was the owners old rig.They were on it when he bought it,when they wore out he bought bfg mud ta's and hated them.He sold them to anouther club member and bought a new set of yoko's.I've heard alot of good things about them.Good luck

8. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)

One thing is the are a directional tire, so two problems right off
    1: Rotating them, the tires will always stay on the same side front to back only(no criss cross X)
    2: There traction is entirely intended forward, so you better make sure you can make it through whatever your going into, because you will have ZERO traction, trying to back up[​IMG].
    And I have heard they wear like $hit, I would stick with BFG MT or TSL Radials myself.
    Plus do you really want to look at your AMERICAN made truck and see the word "YOKOHAMA" on it [​IMG] (PS I don't care if they are made in the USA, it's the point of wear the profits are going[​IMG])

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhhh, where do you think the profits go when you buy those "American" BF Goodrich tires? BFG is owned by Michelin, a French company. Goodyear? Owned by a British conglomerate. Firestone? Owned by Bridgestone, a Japanese company. Perhaps Interco can keep your money in the US? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Where are the new ProComp's made?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The question isn't where they're made, it's what country gets the profit? Lots of tires are still made in the US, they just aren't made by an American corporation. It's very likely that Pro-Comp Tire is not a manufacturer. Their volume is too low. It's highly likely that another tire company makes them for Pro Comp.

Even lots of Hondas, Nissans and Mercedes are "made" in the US now. The profit goes home to the corporate headquarters. It's hard to tell these days just where something is actually made vs. who really owns the manufacturing plant.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>