Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody try Summit turbo mufflers??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, Oct 17, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Need to replace the rotted out mufflers on my K5. It currently has on "Rino" mufflers......I really like/d the sound of them but can't find them anywhere.....

Anyway, Flowmasters are cool and all but I don't really want to spend $150 on a pair of mufflers. The Summit catalog lists the house-brand turbos at only $15 each so I was tempted to try them.

Anybody have any experience with them? How do they sound (let's say compared to a 40 or 50-series Flowmaster)?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am interested too, I have been running the 6.2 without mufflers for about a year and am ready to quite it down again.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I run Summit turbos on my 71 street car and will probably run them when I convert the Blazer exhaust. I really like the way they sound. Sound like turbos. Fairly quiet while cruzing but pretty nice while stomping on it.
    They're a good quality muffler. For the price, I dont think they can be beat. Flowmasters sound like a hollow tub to me unless ther're behind a pretty built-up motor.

Heck, for the price of the Summit turbos, if you dont like it, your not out that much $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have "super turbo" mufflers, if thats what you're looking at, i cant say i like mine at all...one of them is internally FOOKED and when the truck idles you can sit and watch the exhaust pulse by watching the muffler expand...and they rattle because the baffles broke out...

5. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I have the summit turbos and I have no complaints, they have worked good for me and give me a good sound, mine are probably worn out now cuz ive had them on there for about 2 years now but they are great bang for the buck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I had summit turbos and replaced them with summits "welded" mufflers which are chambered, Did not like the turbos but exhaust exit location also changed when I installed the welded mufflers, went from under bed to behind rear wheels.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll be lucky if a $15 muffler can survive a single winter in Ohio. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif At that price point it has to be made of some pretty cheap and thin steel, which is not going to last long once it's coated in road salt. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My neighbor just put the summit $15 muffs on his cruiser..
    and he loves them...

I too had the Rhinos...
    I was very happy with DEEP tone they had...
    and searched all over for them...
    But I think they were sold...or went out of bussiness. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So I tried the Summit Welded Turbos...
    I'm very happy with the sound..and very durable outter shell...
    It's not as DEEP as the Rhinos...but comparable..

People have asked..."What headers are You running?"
    and I'm only running manifolds... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They aren't as loud as my 50 series Flowmasters...
    on my wheeling rig...

The thing I liked about them the most is...size...
    They are perfect fit for duals on a k5... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Had the cheap ones on my pickup for two years before I sold it. They were holding up well. Hardly any road miles. 2.5 mile trip to work and back. Not enough warm up time. Have the welded ones on the Burb now. Nice sound for a small muffler. Interior noise is acceptable. My brother had Super Turbos on his Blazer for a while. They would resonate(SP?) inside the cabin too much. Switched to the welded Summit units after I put mine on.

10. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I went with the $15 summit mufflers when I did my exhaust. Headers with dual 2.5 pipes. Sounds good, couldn't beat the price. Wish they had a deeper rumble to them. Overall a good muffler nice idle and not annoying at highway speeds.

11. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Heck, for $15.00, who cares! That's cheap! And not a waste of money.