Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody tube out their half cab?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Mar 7, 2003.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Has anyone cut off the factory Blazer half cab and replaced it with a roof integrated with the roll cage? What I'm thinking of is a roof that would still allow use of doors, and also interface with the soft top ('76-'91 style), but not be as vulnerable to offroad damage. The biggest problem I can see would be how to tie it in to the windshild frame; I have a feeling that if it were solid it would break the windshield when it flexed. It might be nice if the door frames were made to seal against a frameless window (like the full convertible '73-'75 doors) as well.

Pete

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

not sure if this is what you mean, but i thought about removing the top altogether and using something like lexan for a windshield. that and narrowing the front similar to watson's jimmy

i even photo chopped of the idea
    [​IMG]

maybe one day /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of keeping the stock windshield and frame, but what you're talking about is probably a lot more practical.

Funny you should mention narrowing the front, I just pulled off the winch & mount, bumper, and one of the fenders last night to start working on that. I'm thinking ~8" per side. I was originally just going to section the core support (when I started thinking of this a couple years ago), but now I plan to have most of the support in the form of tube, tied back to the roll cage, and just use the skin of the OE fenders.

Pete

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You mean like a removable hard top (the steel half cab part)

I'm not sure I see the benefit, and since when do you wheel with doors? Last I saw it didn't even look like you could run doors on your truck./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe you could elaborate a bit more...I'm about to start building a cage and may want to rip off your idea./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

No, I don't really need/want it removable. I just want something that functions similar to what I have, but is more durable. Whammified, if you will.

Its been a while since I wheeled with doors on, but they sure did come in handy last March when my brother had to drive my shiatbox home from Moab while his rode on the trailer (busted case on the TH350). I'd like to be able to use them in the winter time. And the drivers side door works pretty good, although it was never really finished. The passenger side didn't get that far even. Haven't worked on it much lately.

I've also been thinking about building some real light weight half doors, either with canvas skins or sheet metal over a thin frame (like Spyder Customs/formerly Avalanche of Denver does on some of their Jeeps), then removing the rear glass and storing them in the tailgate.

Pete

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    storing them in the tailgate

[/ QUOTE ]

now that is a need idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You could always do something like this, but with a rubber seal between the cage and frame. Then build your light weight doors to fit the cage frame.
    [​IMG]

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

That has definite possibilities, Russ. I'm still thinking I'd like to be able to use the doors, though, but that would just mean I'd have to move the tube a bit from where you have it. Maybe come down through the door post (the truck part of it), and weld it right onto the top of my rockers. That would work well for tying into the fenders, too. I think I'd run a tube across the cowling, too, and maybe a center bar--would make it a bitch to replace the windshield, though.

BTW, my truck is damn ugly with the doors, soft top, and my brother's 35s on it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I also like the 2x4 holding your truck together. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Pete

9. BadDog

LOL, that 2x4 was the only thing holding the firewall/cowl in place! there were no rockers, the supports were cut out from under the floor, part of the floor cut away, and no top. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you really got energetic, you could probably hull out the a-pillar on the seal side and place a piece of tube in the resulting channel. Same thing across the top (outside of tube would be about where the rain gutters normally are) and down the back of the door opening (even tracing the skin body lines if your real ambitious). Minor mods to the seals might then allow the doors to still fit.? It would be far from easy, but it would be pretty cool...

10. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

I lvoe the way these look and I want my blazer to mainly be a trail rig and not see much street use. I don't have a trialer nor do I want to be a trailer queen so I know if I were to do something like this I would have to stay within the law. How much of this can you get away with before the cops start pulling you over?

11. BadDog

Thanks. Beats me what you could get away with, also depends on the area your driving in... However, I've always had plans to get mine legal and tagged, just haven't gotten around to it.

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've always had plans to...just haven't gotten around to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like most of my projects.

However, my new stickers for the tags have been sitting in my in basket for a couple months now.

Pete

13. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

hey bad dog, do you have anymore pics of your blazer? another thing with me building mine is I never want a time when it is not running for a while. I hate when I start to buyild something and it sits.

14. BadDog

Nothing very recent, but here are some "in progress" pages I put together a while back...

http://www.members.cox.net/russhuffman/shorty/shorty.html
    http://www.members.cox.net/russhuffman/cage/cage.html
    http://www.members.cox.net/russhuffman/testrun/testrun.html
    And some great BB02 action shots that Twizted took.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/48640395ReqTUJ
    http://community.webshots.com/album/48864442MrFSMd
    http://community.webshots.com/album/48958453nBuejm

If you've got more questions, send me a PM. We really shouldn't hijack Pete's thread any further... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Oh, and it's a K30, well, sort of, at least it started out that way... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

Nice pics, I love it! I can't wait to make my blazer as cool as all the ones I see here. The other day I was even thinking of selling my samurai to have some more cash to spend on it. But I decided to just sell my harley instead. THem thigns are just to clean

16. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

talk to Yeild2me on this site, he did it, heres a link to the body Body with half cab conversion its in the for sale section of the site, but shhh, i need a body and i'm interested in this one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas and the pics, guys. I'm currently thinking about doing the a-pillar bars just outside the windshield frame, and a hoop across the top (kinda like Russ's), and maybe a bar across the bottom, with one down the center of the windshield. Not really sure about the rest yet. Started working on the front end, and running the a-pillar bars that way will allow for a nice tie in point with the fenders.

I was just looking at pics of bgreens "freak" project (thread over on PBB), and the a-pillars on his and the top bar is kind of what I had in mind, just a little tighter.

As for the front fenders, I'm thinking kind of somewhere between bgreen's and Steve Watsons, basically just keeeping the skins. I should pick up the bender tonight and get to working on it soon.

(Would have replied earlier, but spent my weekend in the garage/junkyard actually working on stuff instead of being a bum like I usually do.)

Pete