Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody use Autocool HC 12a?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnnieg, Jun 14, 2004.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I would like to get my A/C working again and found this product on the internet as a replacement for R12. it says I need to get some R134a fittings and oil then it will work just fine. My compressor is shot so I am going to get a new one of those and the system has been empty for many years. Is there anything else I need to inspect or replace since it hasn't been used in so long? Does anybody have any testimonials regarding this product? Thanks.
    Here is the site: Autocool HC 12a

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

use the real thing or nothing at all. the "replacement" refrigerants often dont cool as well as the real thing, and often times are actually flamible too.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Get a new dryer and orifys Tube

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Get Enviro-safe from Ebay, super cheap and works much better than 134A and as good or better than 12.

Envirosafe is a mix of Isobutan and Propane, just like the comercial stuff in large buildings. Don't be fooled by the claims to always use the origional. R12 was good, not great, 134A is a complete distaster, and not much better for the Ozone than R12. R134A would not even be in production now if Dupont wouldn't have paid the millions for EPA approval. Companies like Enviro-safe didn't have millions to buy their way into the market.

I have used Envirosafe in my vehicles, friends vehicles and now my home, all function great. I probably have converted a total of 15 vehicles, not one single problem.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

FREEZE12 is also a good product that is not flammable. We use it in all of our semis with good results. I ran it in my K5 for a long time also and worked good. I am now running R134 and am happy with it's performance.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Envirosafe is a mix of Isobutan and Propane, just like the commercial stuff in large buildings.

[/ QUOTE ]

But buildings usually dont drive down the road with their condensor exposed in the event of an accident.

Propane and Isobutane are very flammible!! When installed in a vehicle A/C system can very dangerous IMO.

An accident could = a big boom! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My .02,
    John

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Envirosafe is a mix of Isobutan and Propane, just like the commercial stuff in large buildings.

[/ QUOTE ]

But buildings usually dont drive down the road with their condensor exposed in the event of an accident.

Propane and Isobutane are very flammible!! When installed in a vehicle A/C system can very dangerous IMO.

An accident could = a big boom! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My .02,
    John

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, Propane scares me in an A/C system.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Propane is an excellent refrigerant, however, it should not be used in an automotive application. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif