Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody use the Harbor Freight "Farm Jack"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goldwing2000, Jan 10, 2007.

1. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Normally everything Harbor Freight sells is crap, so I'm already suspicious but it's half the price of a Hi-Lift, so I'm entertaining the idea.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6530

It claims to have the same capacity as a Hi-Lift and the lifting height is the same but it weighs 4 lbs less than the Hi-lift, so I have to wonder where they cut the corners.

I'm definitely not going to use it (or any other jack) to hold up the vehicle while I'm under it, so safety isn't a huge concern. Just wondering if it "performs as advertised".

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a non Hi-lift 60" that I bought at a swap meet. it has worked for years. the operation is not as smooth as a Hi-lift but it was $30.

the differences are minute but they add up. the post on mine is not as beefy as the ones that come on a Hi-lift. I have bent mine. then bent it back, used it some more, bent it again. I really should have taken a picture. Bent it to over a 45 degree angle.

The holes in the post are not as clean as a Hi-lift. I believe this is why it is not as smooth. jacking up is fine, but going back down is sticky. I always drown the pins in WD-40 and even then its not perfect.

I have used it so much that I have gotten every penny of use out of it. I have jacked up the roof of my garage with it. rolled a V6 forward in its mounts to change the back plugs in my grand prix. Spread my fenders back out after a nasty hit wheeling. I have winched with it, clamped with it. they really are very versatile. The next one I buy will be a Hi-lift.

don't waste your money on a 48". you will kick yourself the first time you reach the top hole and need more. the time may come when you are offroad and the only place to put the base of the jack is in a hole robbing you of useable jack height. I have run into this very situation.

3. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I got mine about 4 years ago during one of there sales for 20 bucks after my discount. I have used it hundreds of times. i keep it super clean and oiled after each use and never have a problem with it. Its heavy so i dont carry it on trail. I just use it for farm work.

4. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

well I'd have to say the same thing as gmc4cw, but i haven't bent mine. Hell i even used it to spread the frame on my k5 (i still say the tree ran out in front of me, actually i came out of a mudhole in the wrong tracks goin way to fast). I got my farm jack for $30, and its a 60". I've used it for 5 years now, and it served 4,5 of them winch'n and liftin a 7200lb k20. If ya got the money, get a highlift, its worth the extra few bucks. but if you're doin it on the cheap a farm Jack will be just fine

5. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I've had real good luck with my Farm Jack, but i carry a HiLift on the trails.:thinking:

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I don't think i'd use that one that was bent so badly. I don't feel like analyizing it, but in terms of fatigue failure, it is significantly weaker now that it bent.

7. gmc4cw

I am in the process of replacing the one I bent. I will still keep it for light duty tasks.

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Good call. Thats what i would do. I would be ok using it for pulling applications....but it would still make me nervous.

More than likely, it would buckel easier when used for lifting than it used to, but in tension, it should be alright, unless you can really still see where it bent.

9. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

If it was me, I would go for the Hi-Lift brand. Being a few pounds lighter means that they are using less metal. I bought the 60" from ebay, all said and done it was like $65. For the extra piece of mind and added weight, Id go with the Hi-Lift brand

10. gmc4cw

if you get what is in the picture from the link you will be getting short changed. its missing the top peice used for clamping or winching. thats weight right there. and maybe there scalew is slightly off from the one they use at Hi-lift.

11. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

If you want, I have a Harbor Freight retail store right by me, and I will be near it tomorrow. I can stop in and give you my critique of it if you like...

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, I didn't see a 60" jack so it's 48" or nothing from Harbor Freight.

Randy: That'd be great, thanks!

gmc4cw: I wonder if the Hi-Lift top clevis would fit other brands. :thinking:

Another problem I'm running into is I can't find a brick & mortar business that sells Hi-Lift and I need it for this weekend. :doah:

13. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ive got it...only problem is on payment the base is unstable...and it kinda bends a bit. other than that its pretty good.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Thanks. "Kinda bends a bit" worries me. :eek1:

BTW, I was wrong about the weight. According to Hi-Lift's web site, it is also 30 lbs. The 34 lb weight was from Northern's web site.

I wish they had a "dealer locator" or something on their web site. :(

15. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

when i say it bends i mean...that i usually put a 3' long 2x6 under the base bc it would **** under load when on grass/pavment. and the truck would "fall" /slide w.e. you wanna call it and sit back down...i plan to weld some flat iron the the base soon. its has never let me down

16. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

Goldwing, you're not too far away, there is a Tractor Supply Company in Saline that sells Hi-Lift, also Cabela's sells them but they're a bit pricey.

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sweet. That's good info! I have a Cabela's Club Visa, so it might be worth the trip. I'll definitely call TSC, though. Their web site says the one in Monroe is closer to me.

Thanks!!

edit: Dang! Cabela's only has the 48" jack. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  18. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I have a 48" HF farm jack and a 60" Hi-lift. The Hi-lift does operate a little smoother, but the Farm jack works really good too. Only problem I had with the farm jack was I busted the little roll pin that attaches the base to the main jack rail. I opened the hole up just a hair with a drill bit and slipped a grade 8 bolt in there with a nylon locking nut. Never had a problem since, and that jack's seen plenty of use.

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Double-dang! TSC also has only the 48" Hi-Lift. $52.36, if anybody is interested. $12 cheaper than Cabela's.

They do carry a Larin Farm Jack for only $27.96, though. Cheaper than Harbor Freight and made in the USA (which I doubt the HF one is).

20. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I looked at it today. Made better than I imagined. Its a pretty smooth operation. One thing, it did not automatically drop down when in reverse mode and no weight on the tongue like the Hi-Lift does. The base is kinda cheesy and wobbly, and I couldnt get it to stand up on its own. And there is no top clamp included like mentioned before. Overall, it seemed to have some good weight to it, and seemed fairly well built. And yes, it is made in China. I got lots of pics if you are interested...