Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody use this TBI chip??

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by b454rat, Aug 16, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm in the planning stages of a 90 Crew cab short box with a TBI 454 and currently a TH400. I want to put in a 4-speed and 1/2 axles (maybe 3/4, not sure yet) but heard that the chips are different. I found a chip on Summit's site that says for a TBI 454 with a manual trans. Anybody ever use this, or is it just a waste of money?? Has anybody done a swap like this??

Summit chip http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=JET%2D29010S&N=700+0&autoview=sku

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would look somewhere like TBIchips.com or someplace else someone recommends. If it's a stock engine/application then it should be as simple as burning a stock bin for you, that you swap in. Of course, thats assuming that the particular bin you need is readily available.

I don't know about the Jet stage 2's, but the hypertech stuff for instance is junk, and I assume the Jet is similar...increased timing in a few spots, and tolerance of a lower thermostat. Great if you want to run premium gas and see little performance increase. :rolleyes:

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Talk to Brian at TBI chips dot com. He has helped me tune my custom application and the performance is better than I had hoped for. He has answered every email, and looked at all my diagnostic data.

4. b454rat

I don't plan on doing much to the motor, just the usual stuff, headers, maybe a cam, true duals with at least 2 1/2" exhaust. Really all I need is to see if I can use my stock prom with the auto, or if I do need one for a manual trans. I will try that site, thanks!!

5. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should be able to use your current PROM with a manual trans. The computer controls nothing on a turbo 400 and wouldn't care if it was gone.
    You will want to have a chip burned to take full advantage of all your mods that you do once you do them.

6. b454rat

Now that is what I'm thinking, but heard different stories about it. I know I can get one, so I guess just try it and see what happens. I still need to get the truck yet...

7. dyeager535

It's not about controlling the trans, its about being adjusted to the different way load is applied because of the two different transmissions.

If you aren't doing anything other than putting a stock engine in there, try it and see how you like it. It's not likely to be a noticeable difference, but it's there, guaranteed.

Here you go. Took a few minutes, but anyone can do it, go get Tunerpro and work it out. You'll have fun. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  8. b454rat

Doesn't like that much of a difference. It wont be for awhile till I do it, like I said before I haven't even gotten the truck yet.

9. dyeager535

4+* at idle speeds? That's a lot.

That is not the only difference of course, but one easily extracted/shown from tunerpro.

Anyways, I'd still run it and see what you think. I've run my TPI setup with the "wrong" PROM for some time. Even with the quirks it runs good.

10. b454rat

OK, guess I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at. I think for now, run the way it is and try it. I know where to go to get the right parts.