Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody use this winch rope?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TWISTEDJACK, Oct 22, 2002.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There's been quite a bit of talk on PBB about winch rope, the basic gist is that pretty much everyone loves them. </font color>

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've got one. I use it to death. Real handy to get the rope across a muddy channel or a beaver pond. What I dont like is when your pulling hard with it, It likes to squeeze into itself and it can make pulling it out a real bitch the next time you use it. Nice on the hands also.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most of the Mastpull rope is manufactured by a company called Sampson. It works! It's pretty funny to use when your use to cable. First couple times I help pull cable for friends that run it and sit looking at if going HOW the HELL is this going to work. You can litterally pull the stuff off the drum wrap it around your arm like and extension cord and go. The stuff even floats! LOL It's tough stuff. It was designed for marine use.
    The only thing you have to be carfull of is chafing it. That's what the sleave is for. You put the sleave against any rocks to make sure you don't cut it. The sampson Website has how to weave it. If you ever break it you can weave it backtogether and it will be just as strong. I personnaly would think about buying an extra sleave. you can leave them on and let them wind up with the rope. I would wind one in at about 50ft and one in at about 25 feet.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Did a search for the Sampson website, no go. You have an address?

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i have been thinking about getting it, it is just like my wakeboarding rope. they are both made from Kevlar (SP?)

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Scott at rockstomper has some of the best deals on winch rope. I got 125 feet of it for a lot less than what masterpull wants.

BIGJ

8. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

On our rescue ropes we use sleeves that velcro closed so you can put them where ever you want. Pieces of fire hose sliced on one side work well also.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've heard that the planetary winches can get the drum very hot and that this can melt the MasterPull rope. But I just ran across an article for a new rope that claims to withstand much higher temps. Check it out at http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/oro_xline02/ /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

8274=no wories

12. Grim-Reaper

The only time the winch would devlope that much heat on the drum is if you were lowering a truck down a slope for a long distance. The brake is on the inside of the drum. I think I read the AmSteel is something like 225 degrees is the point where it has problems. I have not seen any heat issues with this rope yet and it's getting pretty popular. Couse most of the pulling we do around here is up mud slick hills. Lowering stuff down is not a common practice.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the site Grim.

Although it's not common for others to need to lower their rigs say, down the face of some cliff, I would have to take into consideration that I MIGHT have to do just that one day!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I hear ya! I've got an 8274 also. Recently bought it from a neighbor that was moving. He bought it in '86, used it 3 times on a CJ7, then put it in the garage when he sold the Jeep. The winch rope is like brand new so I won't be replacing it too soon. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif