Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody using a hydraulic winch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by efilnikufecin, Jun 6, 2002.

1. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

just wondering the pros and cons.i was thing of getting one.i know they can't be run if the motors off.just wondering about performance.any suggestions,thanks

2. buick528

buick528 Registered Member

I used to be a tow truck driver and thats what we used.They are slower but they can puull.milemarker has a kit using the ps but you'll have to upgrade your pump or it'll probably go out.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Slow Slow Slow Slow Slow Slow

And Slow.

Plus as you know, no motor no go. Electric have come so far, I see no reason for going anything but electric.

Mounds June 23rd?

Ken H.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Do a search on this. This topic has been hashed out many a time.......

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hydraulic winches don't have to be slow just because the milemarkers are. It depends on the flow rate of the pump driving the winch. Hydraulic pump are rated by the gpm or gallons per minute that they flow. The one on my Pete flow 27 gpm at 1000rpm pump speed with a max of 2500 psi and max speed of 2500 rpm. So it depends on the pump driving the winch and the rating of the winch. The tranfer system on my Knight trailer uses a char- lynn motor to tranfer the box on and off the trailer. At 700 engine the box loaded with 12 tons of rock moves slow, but kick the engin to1000 rpm and the box jumps into the truck half of my rig. The same would be true for a hyd. winch. Myself I want a good hyd. winch up front for working and a eletric winch in the back too. Also if you're worried about engin dead times then get a pony motor to run the pump. A 10 horse honda might work.

6. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

hey if you guys do a run to the mounds let me know, maybe i can make it. you can check out my 12,000# MM too! see how slow they really are

later, nick

7. four_by_ken

Would be cool if you could make it. I would liek to check it out also.

Now, on the part of the hydraulic winches. True, not all are slow, but for almost every person using them, they are using ths power steering pump to run them. Which means they will be slow. And who would want to haul around anotrher small motor to power the hydraulics for the winch?

Ken H.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well I just had to put a new hyd pump on my big rig as I didn't want to wait another week while they rebuilt the old one. It just needs a new input shaft as the old shaft ate some of the splines. Later this year I'll get a new shaft for the old pump and will have a hyd pump rated at 19 gpm and 3000 psi. You think that would move a hyd winch? Then have to deside if I'm going to run it off the 465 pto spot or the 205 pto spot. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I disagree with the statement that most hydraulic winches are using the powersteering pump.
    I am only aware of one tiny company using the power steering pump.
    thousands of winches run on proper hydraulic pumps.
    far more common then Milemarker stuff.
    even the local Princess auto sells a v belt pump with a electric operated clutch similar to an AC pump.

if you narrow the field to common recreational use then MM is currently the only player(actually I forgot Pierce Sales has one too) but when you expand it to include commercial, which is where the good stuff is, there are plenty of choices. I bet a MM with a real pump would be great.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Has anyone on the board tried this? I would be intrested hearing how it worked out and what it took to make it happen.

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Steve Watson had a MM hooked to a real hyd pump for a while said it worked. Don't know why he changed it. I think I read that on ORD's web page but not sure where I read it.

12. bigjbear

13. four_by_ken

Ok, I should have said most all people using them in the 4x4 world are using the power steering pumps, and most are the Milemarker. Which is slow. If you could rig another type of pump up, it would probably be a lot nicer. But, not many people do that. My main point is that the advancements in electric today make it very hard to beat.

Ken H.

14. four_by_ken

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good link.
    I think the beltdrive one is the way to go.
    I like to use the engine to help the winch and with the PTO you would lose winch when you step on the clutch.
    people have strange notions about hydraulics

16. bigjbear

Intresting. So would moding the pump West Texas O-R style put out 3 gpm?

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Or you could get a crank driven pto too. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

most or those mods are pressure related.
    there is a thread on here or p4x4 with several people stating they have split the pump by overpressuring it.
    gpm is a function of pump displacement and speed