Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody using Edelbrock manifold and stock throttle bracket?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Was gonna swap on my throttle bracket onto my Ebrock manifold and carb today. The bracket goes under the 2 back bolts on a q jet. There are 2 sets of bolt holes in the e brock carb, but the manifold's holes are the outer two holes. This creates a problem with using the stock bracket, as it was designed to use with the two inner holes. Any body alter this bracket to make it work? I have run through a few ideas, but haven't decided how I will make it work yet.
    thanks,
    James

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I cut the bracket so that only the driver's side hole was used.
    Blake

3. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Did One Last Week

I changed the stock intake and qjet last week on my 77. When I got my parts, they had instructions on how to modify the old bracket included in either the intake bok or the carb box. I can't remember which one it was. If you did not get them, I could scan it and send it to you if you like. I chose to buy the bracket from Autozone. I think it was 10 or 15 bucks. It came in chrome and had the kickdown cable bracket on it already. The kickdown bracket had adjustments but still wouldn't adjust enough so I still have to figure out something there. I am switching the tranny from the TH350 to my built 700R4 so I'm going to wait and see if the TV cable works with it before I try and fabricate something. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want the modification sheet.

James

4. 78Suburban

That would be AWSOME!! I lost my instructions 2 years ago. my email is speedy_buck@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    James

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I've cut it and only used one hole and I've welded a small washer on the end to make it longer both work well.

6. BlahBlah

BlahBlah Registered Member

I think all I had to do was drill a new hole, but the line that goes out the back had to be modified a little to.

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

um.....there should be 8 holes on a performer manifold you can just swap the bolts to whatever is gonna work on your bracket and use the inner 2 holes

8. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Wtf!

:D I used my stock throttle/kickdown/cruise control bracket on my 1978 GMC jimmy with a 350/t-350/np203 and an Edelbrock performer intake with the stock q-jet carb and it was a no modification bolt on guys!:haha: I don't see the PROBLEM!!!!!:haha:

9. 78Suburban

I will take a pic tomorrow and show the problem. you will see what I'm talking about. if anybody has a pic of a modified bracket, I would love to see it, since I've only got one to tinker with and want to know how to before I go cutting/weding/bending/drilling.
    thanks,
    James

10. bigbadchev84

your intake should look like this, your throttle bracket should have 2 holes plus a little tit that sticks into the carb hole that your carb stud is currently in, just remove the 2 back bolts put your bracket on and then tighten your bolts down in the throttle bracket holes, i have installed at least a dozen of these carbs and have never had to use an aftermarket bracket

performer.jpg

11. 78Suburban

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could tap that nipple out and make the hole bigger, and extend it on the other side with a strip of metal so it would fit in the second stud hole.......... anybody got pics of how they modded this bracket?
    thanks,
    James

12. bigbadchev84

that is the exact same bracket i have on a couple of my trucks, whats the prob? just take the 2 back nuts off and unscrew the studs and move them over to the inner two holes, then it will fit your bracket fine and the tit goes in the outside hole, no need to modify your bracket

13. 78Suburban

do you have an edelbrock manifold or a quad manifold? the edelbrock intake only has 4 holes, and those are the outer holes.
    thanks,
    James

14. bigbadchev84

i have 4 performer manifolds and have installed a handful of others, yours should look like the picture i posted your manifold has holes under every one of your 8 carb holes if it is a performer intake, just might have crap in there or the gasket is covering them, but they are there, your overthinking your problem, no need to modify that bracket

15. 78Suburban

Called Edelbrock today.. I don't have the origional Performer, I have the Performer EPS (Edelbrock Performer Series), which only has 4 holes........ So I'm back to the drawing board.. I really really would love to see some pics of how people modded their throttle brackets..
    thanks,
    James

16. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Here's mine I just cut this one off to use one bolt, I used a lock washer and nut to hold it in place been like that for years, no problems or movement.

[​IMG]

17. 78Suburban

backyardbuilt,
    I appreciate the picture. The zip ties seem like a good idea to take some of the stress off of the bracket. I'm thinking I may not have to cut the bracket at all, and just use one of the holes (the one right by the nipple). I would love to see any more pics of brackets like this.
    thanks,
    James