Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody who knows about gun laws--gun in vehicle question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PetaKane, Jul 25, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay here's the deal. I'm not a trouble maker or Billy Bad-ass so I don't wanna carry a shotgun with me everywhere I go. But last night me and a couple buddies went out to Draper lake to do a little wheelin. Some punk ass kids rolled up to us and were askin us if we had any bomb (weed?). I told them we don't do that stuff we all have jobs where we can get tested at any time. Nothing serious happened, but these were your typical little wanna be gangsters just lookin for trouble. I made a comment about them scarin the hell outta us cuz we thought they were cops, and then I asked my buddy if he had taken the shells out or just put the 'gun' under the seat. They left shortly after that, but my question is, if I had a shotgun in my gun rack, unloaded, how much trouble could I get into. I just wanna take it for occassions like that. Not that I'm gonna pull it out, but kids like that piss me off and I'm all for guns as protection.

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I think if it is unloaded, you are safe. I mean, if you were going hunting, you are alowed to carry your gun in your truck, right?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> So long as it's unloaded and the shells are locked up in the glovebox or somewhere else you should be fine. Might not be OK if you're under 18 though, not sure about that. </font color>

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

As long as it is in plain sight and it's not loaded...As far as hand guns I'm not sure, but I think the same rules apply. just don't make any jummpy moves and let an officer know about any weapons in the rig if your pulled over...

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

best thing to do if you're pulled over, is just pull the gun out, and point it at the officer so he can see down the barrel. you know, so he can see that there's no bullets in it.
    he'll appreciate your thoughtfulness, and will gladly show you his sidearm as a display of friendship. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    if your buddy could jump out of the passenger side, and run back to talk to the other cop in the car, this would be even better. make him feel wanted and appreciated, too. he may even show your buddy his gun or clubs and stuff! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I think if I were you, I'd be on the Oklahoma state web page looking up gun laws.
    Why are you asking a legal question on a 4x4 site? Go to a site where lawyers
    hang out - not a bunch of 4x4 enthusiasts. Or call your local DA's office. They're
    always more than happy to share their knowledge and expertise - especially if it's
    against the law!

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

All states and counties are different. Call your sheriff's dept and ask them about your county. I know here in Iowa the gun has to be in a case large enough that it could not be consealed on your body and it has to be lockable. Also the ammunition can not be stored with the gun. Under no circumstances could you have an exposed gun in your vehicle or on your body with the exception of hunting or shooting at a public range or on private land. ( I found this out the hard way )

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ah yeah, look up the state laws, considering most everyone here is from Kali giving answers and this place has got the most gun nazis.

Even though I'm from Oklahoma, I can't tell you the laws because the part of the state I'm from, everyone carries loaded in the vehicles and the cops don't care because nothing ever happens. Heck, the last cop I rode with in OK last year made a traffic stop and the pickup had two loaded shotguns, on a state highway. Big flippin deal! I don't even know where Draper Lake is. Of course, it's always been a source of confusion about the Panhandle, some people down state think it's a part of Texas (God forbid).

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

ROTFLMFAO!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I'm tellin' ya, The People's Republik of Kalifornia does not have the strictest gun laws. That honor belongs to Massachusetts, trust me my brother in law was a cop there. He's now a cop in Vermont where, if you look up firearms codes, it says (see U.S. Constitution). I need to move /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's sad. But then again, you can't expect too much out of a bunch of damn yankees! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

here in phoenix it doesnt have to be unloaded it just cant be on the dash because its considered intimidation and it still has to be out like on the seat or something where people can see it.

13. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

OMG Delta that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. Thanks for the laugh. My side...My side is splitting.

14. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

In Texas you can drive around with a loaded rifle anywhere in the vehicle and its legal. But a pistol will get you taken to jail .

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In California you better not have any ammunition locked in any glove box or center console. Ammunition must be in a separate locked container from the gun itself and also in completely different parts of the truck but in plain site. The best place when being carried in a car is the trunk, you can however keep both the gun and ammunition in the trunk of a car since it is not accessible while you are driving.

16. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Do what ?????? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ammunition must be in a separate locked container from the gun itself and also in completely different parts of the truck but in plain site.

[/ QUOTE ] ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Sounds like there is a great need for transparent locking containers.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Put it in a baggie(in the trunk).

19. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

That would be for handguns....
    Locked container amunition stored seperately. Ammo is ok in the glove box, but it better not be in the magazine... cop "could" construe that as a loaded weapon... even though the dang pistol is locked in the trunk...
    Rifles and shotguns do not have to be in locked containers.. but must not be loaded..

cali law
    check your local laws and don't take legal advice from a bbs
    the judge wont care what any of us told you.

20. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dude, the law specifically says no ammo in the glove box. You will be going to jail in a heartbeat for such stupidity.